Spark plug hole repair, 10MM x 1.0

My friend has a 1936 Packard 120 with an aluminum head that has 10MM x 1.0 pitch spark plug threads. One of the plug threads is stripped. The car uses Champion UY6 plugs which have a reach of only ¼ inch. We are having difficulties finding a 10MM plug repair kit that has 1.0 thread pitch and especially one that includes sleeves that are only ¼ inch long. Suggestions would be most appreciated.

Yes, it's aluminum.

Considering the vintage of this automobile I would be careful with any repairs that might ruin the value.

This is a good question for experts.

Yes, Virginia, Packard had aluminum heads… and driver-adjustable suspension…90 years ago…

OP - Timesert makes exactly what you need. It’ll be about $120. Check the thread size, pitch, and insert length, here:

You’ll find that the 6.8mm insert length will be exactly what you need for that plug.

That said, get a good machine shop to do this. You want a precise, accurate job. Packard heads, particularly aluminum ones, are hard to come by. I’ve done lots of Timeserts, they’re great, but you can’t risk messing this one up.

For example, it may need the chamfer and plug seating surface around the spark plug hole recut when the Timesert is done.

I dunno if it'll hold but I've trimmed HeliCoils with dykes before for less critical applications

But as suggested above, don't listen to me and potentially ruin something vintage and valuable

Which end do TimeSerts "swell" when fully seated (I can't remember)? Seems the opposing end could be machined down??

I dunno if it'll hold but I've trimmed HeliCoils with dykes before for less critical applications

But as suggested above, don't listen to me and potentially ruin something vintage and valuable

Which end do TimeSerts "swell" when fully seated (I can't remember)? Seems the opposing end could be machined down??
They swell all the way down. But the 6.8mm length insert should not stick out into the combustion chamber. The thread length on that plug is about 8mm.

Reactions: D60
If you dont want to pull the head and take it to a machinist (the best way if you dont have experience) this is a very simple in the car repair using the time sert kit Astro linked to, using a tap guide is highly recommended, the plug being a gasket washer type will not need machining if you install it flush. I would have someone with experience install it if you never did it before.

Back