spark plug confussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change my plugs in an 97 geo prizm 1.6 base model.I thought it would be easy to do. However I have gotten different plugs answers from two differnt auto parts stores.. NGK 2526 with a .044 (BKR5EYA-11) gap and a NGK 2087 with a .032 gap (BKR5EYA). what is the correct plug ??? The NGK website is no help. also what does the 11 mean???

Last edited:
Check under the hood... you may find the factory spec spark plug type on a sticker somewhere.

If not there then check the owners manual.

If not there then try the GM dealer.

Denso( Part # 3119 {#K16RU}) is likely OE but NGK would have an equivalent or better, ie. Iridiums. OM should give the NGK option, IIRC did on my Prizm.

How about pulling out one of the plugs to see what's currently in use. Most likely that's the right plug unless you're having engine performance issues.

+1 on the under the hood sticker.

Ed B.

Use their application search in the upper left corner of the page:

http://www.sparkplugs.com/

It lists the 2526 (BKR5EYA-11) as the replacement. The "-11" stands for a wide gap plug that comes pre-gapped at 1.1mm. I take the "-11" to mean that the plug is designed to take a wider gap than the regular BKR5EYA.

My understanding of NGK numbering system is that they're both the same plug, i.e. heat range, reach, etc. The difference is the wide gap plug is deigned to have a larger gap (slightly longer ground electrode).

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/partnumberkey.pdf

actually I just check the owners manual , it lists the gm 94853696 as the plug . with a 0.031 gap. Now I called ngk, they told me that the 2087 is the updated apllication as of june 09 in their computers. they have not changed the website yet. they said the 2087 is the same plug as the 2526 however, they just come pre gapped at those settings. and the 2087 is the better choice since it's what the factory settings call for.

WHO KNOWS ??? DENSO 3119 here I come...even though they say to gap at .035

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back