Spark Plug Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, i have seen something very interesting at mechanics
smile.gif

Mechanic told that if the plug hole is damaged new larger hole is made, Those adapters screw into plug hole and then plugs screw into them.
My question is, can those spark plugs work effectively ? Do they have any other functions ?
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
But that spark plug has WAY BIGGER threads than that "new larger hole"?

I thought these things were for bad oil burners that kept fouling spark plugs, no?

Last edited:
It looks a spark plug non-fouler. They are used to keep extreme oil burners running. The plug is kept away from getting flooded with oil, allowing the plug to fire. Most people I know now use them to put the rear O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow to rid themselves of a check engine light for bad cat converters.

The spark plug's supposed to be in a pre-designed spot in your cylinder. A device like this would radically change the flame front and heat range of any plug, and take compression from the cylinder.

Definitely for a car that's near it's natural death.

Like all said here, it is now mainly used as an emission cheating device more than a "spark plug non fouler". Your engine probably won't run well if you shield your plug with this anyways.

Originally Posted by Chris142
That's an anti fouler. Some people use them to stop a p0420 cat code.

And they work in that capacity
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by NICAT
Today, i have seen something very interesting at mechanics
smile.gif

Mechanic told that if the plug hole is damaged new larger hole is made, Those adapters screw into plug hole and then plugs screw into them.
My question is, can those spark plugs work effectively ? Do they have any other functions ?

As others have pointed out, the thing in that picture is an anti-fouler, which is not what the mechanic was describing to you. What he/she was describing is what I know as a Heli-coil. They are meant to "repair" stripped out threads in the cylinder head for a spark plug, and once they've been installed, they do not come back out. They are basically a replacement for the threads the spark plug used to screw into.

But again, the thing in the picture is not a Heli-coil, so I'm not sure if your mechanic misidentified it or just guessed at what you were talking about based upon a verbal description.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Originally Posted by Chris142
That's an anti fouler. Some people use them to stop a p0420 cat code.

And they work in that capacity
thumbsup2.gif

I'm guessing this product doesn't work on engines which have coil packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back