Soy sauce is healthier than wine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkC,
not suprised...ferments of all sorts of descriptions have some great health benefits (and some not benefits).

Was reading the other day that the Japanese are much healthier than us westerners, until they drop dead of a brain haemorage due to excessive sodium over decades.

An Aussie colleague who spent 18 months working and living in Japan has become fat and lethargic (his words) in only three months of being back...less stressed 'though.

Miso soup comes to mind.. Just love it but Sodium is high. Shannow we went to Hall Makets today and bought Worcestershire and Mint sauce very low Sodium. He had the three commercial Worcestershire sauces available for direct comparison. Sauce Man was much better and a tenth of the Sodium. Can't beat that. Hall Markets has some 600 stalls now is one of the largest in Australia by the way..

sprintman, I love some of those imported Misos and Tom yung gum soups for smoko...but a teaspoon of salt is too much for a mid morning snack.

We've been using low salt soy, and it does taste better.

Rhiannon wanted some chips this morning, and I was reasonably impressed that Smiths now have 3 times as much Potassium as Sodium.

Too much of both, but a far better ratio for a snack.

Look out for the Japanese Organic soy. Also next time your in town checkout Fishco Downunder at Belconnen Markets and their seafood cafe Fin's and our new wonder restaurants Kingsland and Au Lac both in Dickson. Au Lac in particular is mind blowing. Super cheap and another 20% off for take away. Took MIA and she cried absolute truth. Even though nearly everything we eat is Organic these two places have made us totally re-evaluate how we look at food. A revelation at my age (53).

You can get low sodium miso paste.

Anyway, shouldn't this thread be in the food&drinks forum?
wink.gif

Blame me. I have ADHD and you just tend to wander off on a tangent. Think Billy Connolly and he's the same. Sure gives me an edge as an IT salesman though. Freaks people out how I do everything 'against the book' but still blow them outa the water sales wise. I could say more but maybe another time.s

quote:

Sorry, I thought that we were discussing anti foam agents.

Isn't dimethicone used in oil and digestive aids as anti-foaming agent?
tongue.gif

PS: I saw Billy Connolly on Conan the other night. I hope this strange claim makes sense to Aussies!
wink.gif

My girl is on a new diet. It's called Macrobiotics, and is basically a traditional japanese diet with miso, and all shapes/sizes of tofu/tempeh, organic soy and sea vegetables. A bit of fish, but brown rice instead of white rice.

At any rate, combined with exercise, she was already lean but has lost a lot of weight (the tough midsection/arse area) and she says she feels very healthy. Her skin is noticeably healthier as well.

Back on topic, the soy sauce that her diet recommends lacks alcohol. Many soy sauces use a little alcohol as a preservative. Supposedly the non-alcohol stuff is better.

Evidently...it's BAAAAACK!

I can't really say anything to her for having a good habit...but it sure makes eating-out a chore.

Which means we eat out a lot less. And save a ton of $$$ because of it.

quote:

Originally posted by robbobster:
Evidently...it's BAAAAACK!

I can't really say anything to her for having a good habit...but it sure makes eating-out a chore.

Which means we eat out a lot less. And save a ton of $$$ because of it.

Some people suffered from serious dietary deficiencies on the Macrobiotic diet. I don't remember if that was an inherant fault of the diet or people going to extremes with it.

She has to up her protein intake a bit. And she snacks on whatever "real" food that I eat. But I'll pass the word, tell her to research it a bit more throughly.

Thanks for the tips.

quote:

Macrobiotic diets may help people that have an extreme yang (not enough yin) condition, but really it's not such a balanced way of eating/living.

I'm happy to report my ying and yang are, while in constant struggle for domination, fine.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back