Southern Treats

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife just recently had to take an emergency road trip to Florida to see her parents. Her two older kids are both licensed drivers, so I was allowed to sit this one out. While on the road, she brought me back some great stuff from South Carolina and Northern Florida. She knows, after all, that I'm a displaced redneck.
Upon her return, I received a bag of Cracklin', some Alligator Jerky and a bag of boiled peanuts. Awesome!! Heart attack in a bag!! Sure is good, though.

I remember when I first moved to Georgia I had never seen nor heard of boiled peanuts. Some of the older co-workers from here would bring them to work and sell them and I thought that they looked gross.

After eating a couple and getting over the slimy 'boiled okra' effect I fell in love with them. Now every trip I take to the North Georgia mountains includes a stop at one of the roadside stands that has their fire going and their pots boiling fresh peanuts.

One thing about Georgia that I have yet to figure out is that the state is nicknamed the "Peach State". Yet, in the 18 years that I've lived here I've not once seen a peach tree. Peanuts are far more prevalent in my area but I guess it wouldn't sound right to call it "The Goober State".

Yeah, I stayed on Peachtree Street in Atlanta for a while and never saw a peach tree there.

I guess you guys have never driven on I75 in central to south GA. I just saw several peach mini orchards and LOTS of cotton.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I received a bag of Cracklin', some Alligator Jerky and a bag of boiled peanuts. Awesome!! Heart attack in a bag!! Sure is good, though.

You'll also develop the impressive physique of "Haystack" Calhoun before taking the exit to Evergreen. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back