South Dakota trip pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent a weekend in South Dakota... enjoyed the trip very much...

DSC_8624_00008.jpg

DSC_8638_00010.jpg

DSC_8763_00025.jpg

DSC_8848_00034.jpg

DSC_8849_00035.jpg

DSC_8850_00036.jpg

DSC_8851_00037.jpg

DSC_8856_00039.jpg

DSC_8863_00041.jpg

DSC_8864_00042.jpg

DSC_8881_00044.jpg

DSC_8882_00045.jpg

DSC_8511_00003.jpg

DSC_8671_00017.jpg

DSC_8686_00018.jpg

DSC_8721_00019.jpg

DSC_9030_00056.jpg

Spectacular. I love some of the less-traveled areas and parks (not necessarily talking about Rushmore here). Some of my favorites are Big Bend NP and Guadalupe Mountains NP down in SW Texas. But I've got SD on the list...

Nice shots! Where did you go to see the animals? It's one of the few states I haven't been...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice shots! Where did you go to see the animals?

Thanks. Bear Country, Custer State Park (lots of bisons), and Badlands.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Did you stop at Devil's Tower? Wall Drug?

Did not. I guess I need to make another trip.
smile.gif

I saw Crazy Horse probably 15 years ago and it looks unchanged. Custer is awesome. You didn't hit Wall Drug? Cool little place. Very nice pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics. That's another place on a large list of places I'd like to visit.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice shots! Where did you go to see the animals?

Thanks. Bear Country, Custer State Park (lots of bisons), and Badlands.

We took a 3 week trip out west many years ago and stopped at Custer and Mt. Rushmore. That was a great 3 weeks.

Good stuff! Have been through there a bunch of times. Did you stop at Devil's Tower? Wall Drug?

I was going to ask if he got his free ice water!
I use a Wall Drug mug for my hot drinks at work. I wasn't too impressed with the place, but it was better than the Corn Palace and the mug is cool.

My wife has been trying to visit all the major Little House on the Prairie sites, so she planned our trip to SD. We started out with a 3-4 day stay in the Black Hills that included a day trip to Devil's Tower. My wife saw prairie dogs in the wild for the first time in her life on this leg and couldn't stop lauging and crying, and I really got a kick out of the burrowing owls that lived in abandoned prairie dog tunnels. Left really early one morning so we could take some time to look around in the Badlands, had a late lunch at Wall Drug, and then drove out to a small hotel in De Smet. The next day was all Little House, and the staff there really got a kick out of my daughter wearing a "prairie dress" that my wife had made for her.

It was a fun trip, and pretty light on the wallet. I think my wife has seen all the major Little House sites now, the last was basically a rest stop where the "Little House in the Big Woods" was in Pepin, WI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
How close were the bison ? Great pictures. Thank you

Some of them were really close... within 10 feet of the car.

There were pastures full of them in some places.

The bears were also just as close, sleeping or walking by the side of the road, although they were on a much smaller enclosed private property that you could drive through. They had a bunch of cubs as well, but they were mostly sitting in a shed with poor lighting so my pics of them did not turn out too well.

Last edited:

smile.gif

I think he was joking. Devil's Tower is in Wyoming.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

smile.gif

I think he was joking. Devil's Tower is in Wyoming.

Well, it's about 1.5 hours drive from where I was, so definitely driveable if I had more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back