Source of good rhino ramps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Fester
I have some really old ramps from 1980, purchased at "Discount Auto Parts" that and and the jack. The ramps are all metal. and Ive never trusted them, they slide getting on them.

RWD cars will cause the metal ramps to slide if you're trying to raise the front of the car. FWD cars are not a problem.

If you use the extenders, I think you can even get a RWD drive car on the ramp because the angle is so low

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I picked up plastic ones from China-Mart for $44 and drove my g/f's Jetta up on them. The back sides became concave, but returned to their previous shape after I drove off. Is this normal? Not very confidence-inspiring.

Which local auto stores sell metal ones? Which ones do you guys use?

The same thing happened to me. I bought them shortly AFTER WalMart stopped carrying the TRUE Rhino Ramps. I forget the brand of these? I felt real uneasy when these ramps did the same thing with my relatively-light Fusion. I immediately returned them (I saved my receipt). No questions were asked.

I bought the smaller Rhinos, and have had no trouble -- even with my 4500#+ truck. I wish I would have paid more for the 12000 Rhinos, but I didn't know that I would soon have heavier vehicles.

Yeah, I'll probably return mine, too. Maybe it's normal, but now I have a psychological block that will prevent me from crawling under the car when it's on those ramps.

FYI, it looks like you can get the genuine Blitz Rhino ramps (12,000 lbs) at amazon for $39.99 plus shipping.

Just got off the phone with the Autozone where I bought my 8K Rhino's. He said it states on the label "A genuine Blitz Product" (sigh of relief)
55.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
How can you tell the difference between the true rhino's and the others?

Sorry -- I didn't mean to mislead. As far as I know -- all that say "Rhino" are true Rhinos. The ones I bought at Walmart (about 1 year ago) -- were not Rhino. There were of similar design -- and you could even stack them inside (or on top of) one another. However, the back side really caved in while holding my 3100 car (ramps were rated much higher). I can't remember the exact brand?

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Originally Posted By: panthermike
How can you tell the difference between the true rhino's and the others?

Sorry -- I didn't mean to mislead. As far as I know -- all that say "Rhino" are true Rhinos. The ones I bought at Walmart (about 1 year ago) -- were not Rhino. There were of similar design -- and you could even stack them inside (or on top of) one another. However, the back side really caved in while holding my 3100 car (ramps were rated much higher). I can't remember the exact brand?

Oh I see. As a precaution I checked mine anyways, they say "Blitz" on them. Used them last night and didn't notice any flexing, thankfully.

UPDATE: Picked up the original 12k lbs rhinos from AZ for $45 and tested them out last night. No flex. Maybe it's a false sense of security, but I feel more confident with these than with the flexing Walmart ones.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
There were of similar design -- and you could even stack them inside (or on top of) one another.

I think here is your problem. Gray Rhino ramps I have have plastic cross-webbing inside of them. I can not stack them, but that webbing reinforces the sides, and keeps them from bulging out.

^ Totally agree. The thought of being able to stack them for storage was a nice idea, but at what expense? I feel much safer using my smaller Rhinos vs. the "Walmart ones".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back