Source of good rhino ramps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up plastic ones from China-Mart for $44 and drove my g/f's Jetta up on them. The back sides became concave, but returned to their previous shape after I drove off. Is this normal? Not very confidence-inspiring.

Which local auto stores sell metal ones? Which ones do you guys use?

Was it on pavement? I use the lighter and heavier duty Rhino.

The Heavy duty Rhino ones have better reinforcement underneath......

I have used the heavy duty Rhino ones with a 1 ton Dodge van with no problems.

Last edited:
Have used mine(Real Rhino brand) many times and have seen no flexing ect. Of course my 3500 lb Taco isn't much of a challenge. Have checked several times for stres cracks and have seen none. Mine have worked well on FWD and RWD vehicles.

Were these the black ones or the gray ones? I've had the black ones (the lower load limit ones) and IIRC they did flex a little. It never really bothered me. The way I see it, I'm more comfortable with the heavy plastic ones flexing than metal ones slowly fatiguing and eventually breaking. Any metal ones that were heavy enough for me to be comfortable with them would probably not be very portable.

Unless you mean an off brand instead of real "Rhino Ramps" they seem pretty well reinforced to me.

EDIT: Note I'm assuming you mean very little flexing. I haven't ever seen major flexing on mine.

I also don't use them anymore because I find jackstands easier to deal with.

Last edited:
I bought the HD 12,000 pair set, overkill yes, for an E-150 Aerostar and Jeep. But it was worth the extra cash, for the extra width, and added strength.

They were one of the best auto repair investments I made in a while. Beats the 3 ton floor jack & stands for an oil change.

I have black plastic ramps from O'Reilly. I think they are the 8,000 lb. kind. They don't seem to flex much when my roommate's Civic is on them, but they do with my Ranger.

I got the heavy duty Rhino Ramps, 12,000 capacity. Glad I did. Like Demarpaint said, EXTRA width and strength = peace of mind. Mine were $39 at Pep Boys. I didn't get Rhino's cuz Im smart, I got em because people here highly recommended them.

Off topic, but I still have my old yellow metal ones with the plastic extenders for low profile/slung vehicles. I'm glad I bought the extenders for them. They're a tad cumbersome, but sturdy nonetheless.

I first purchased them for a 96 Accord and the wonderful filter placement on a Honda.
LOL.gif
I've more than gotten my money's worth.

I got 2 stage metal ramps that I bought about 12 years ago that were designed for cars with little ground clearance.

I forgot the name, but they are excellent if you are worried about plastic ramps.

I have some really old ramps from 1980, purchased at "Discount Auto Parts" that and and the jack. The ramps are all metal. and Ive never trusted them, they slide getting on them.

Those Raceramps look good but $299.00. Yikes.

Just to clarify, I don't think they're the original rhino ramps, just some basic no-name black ramps rated for 12,000 lbs.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Off topic, but I still have my old yellow metal ones with the plastic extenders for low profile/slung vehicles. I'm glad I bought the extenders for them. They're a tad cumbersome, but sturdy nonetheless.

I first purchased them for a 96 Accord and the wonderful filter placement on a Honda.
LOL.gif

That's what I have, exactly. Like them except for the cumbersome aspect.

I had a set of Rhino ramps that I bought at Pep Boys, but I didn't like them because when I'd start up the ramp the rubber pads at the front would let them life up the other end and sometimes swivel a little one way or the other. Also they didn't have a very good recess for the tires to rest in.
I ended up buyig a set of metal ones from WalMart then found out the with the boys Saturn and the Caravan that there wasn't enough clearance. Extenders were available on order but were almost twice as much as the ramps. Bought another set of ramps and cut the straight part off. They left a lip that would hook over the holes on the ramps. So far everything has been able to make it although the Mazda 3 that I bought just barely does scrape a little. Some feel like the metal ramps aren't solid enuogh, but I've not had a problem with them sliding and I'm well within the weight limits.

I got the 8K rhino's at Autozone for 36.99(price match). I changed the oil on my MarkVIII on them, the car weighs 3700-3800 lbs. I didn't see any flex or have any problems, but I'll be sure to check next time.

wal-mart is selling a set that look just like Rhino ramps but are not....not sure if there is a real difference. Why not just dig a pit next to your driveway? I am sure it has cross some people's minds. especially if they own a really low car. hehehe.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: sayjac

LOL.gif

That's what I have, exactly. Like them except for the cumbersome aspect.
Yeah, the reason I'm glad I bought the extender kit is because on Honda's especially, the lower valence would rub/hit on the metal ramps without them. They'll likely outlast me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back