Source for a Metrinch 10mm socket in 1/4" drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metrinch is a dual purpose socket. So the 10 mm socket will also work on a certain SAE bolt size as well. I have the original 48 piece kit in a hard plastic case. I really like the Metrinch set but would entertain another brand if they were dual purpose. I think many other tool manuf. have dual purpose tools offered. I think Sears Craftsman offered them at one time.

10mm is very close to 3/8" many Hex sockets in either size, will 'do the job, of both.

In 1/4"drive, it should not be costly to have both a metric and imperial set.

I know several close SAE/Metric sizes. The best example is 13mm and 1/2". I have the fitted case with 48 pieces that I carry in my car. The great thing about Metrinch is each socket does double duty and you don't have to carry two of everything to cover both SAE and Metric. I want a true Metrinch brand tool if I can get it. If not, I will get the socket which is closest to Metrinch style. If you have seen a Metrinch socket inside, it is not a sharp cornered six point. It has rounded protrusions which grap the center of the bolt head, not the corners.

My parents bought me a Metrinch kit years ago on T.V. advertising.

I was, until that time a "right tool for the job" guy.

Metrinch are awesome...grabbing the hex mid flat rather than on the points is really very handy.

Sometimes still need to flog a "proper" socket onto a wrecked fastener, but Metrinch does most of everything.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
eBay has someone selling 1/4 drive metrinch sets.

I only see 3/8 set

Originally Posted By: yonyon
So do these thing round bolts off as easily as they look like they should?

Just the opposite, they don't round anything off. In fact, I can usually get rounded off bolts out when using the metrinch set. And no, it was not me who rounded them to start with..

I have the same 48 piece set in 3/8" and there isn't much on a car it won't do.

They shouldn't round off bolts or nuts too easy,they are made kinda like the Snap-On flank drive,cool stuff

If you ever run into a set of Metrich sockets and wrenches at a reasonable price, jump on it. They were the first manufacturer to offer the 'one socket fits both Metrich and SAE' bolts and nuts. Also rounded and rusted bolts and nuts. Later there were many tool manufacturers who offered a similar socket design. That's what I meant by: If I can't find an original Metrinch , I would accept one of the other dual duty sockets. Each socket had a six point rounded insides instead of a hexagon squared off inside. The Metrich protrusions who grab the center of the bolt head rather than the corners, like a squared corner socket does. Now Kobalt and apparently Craftsman has gone one step further. Their new sockets with the many splined insides grabs Torx, splined, square, as well as regular nuts and bolts as well.

I found a good substitute for my Metrinch 1/4" Drive 10 MM socket I lost. I went to Harbor Freight Tools and got a 10 piece set of Pittsburgh Pro 1/4" drive sockets for 6.99. Sizes range from 5 mm to 14 mm. Although they don't claim to be dual purpose like the Metrinch sockets, they have the same six point convex socket insides. I haven't tried to fit the 10 mm on a SAE 3/8" nut, but will soon. Plus they have the large engraved MM no.s on the side of the socket which I highlighted with a Sharpie for better visibility. I am happy with this solution since a single 10 mm Metrinch socket was 12.99 plus shipping from the Metrinch people.

The HFT Pittsburgh Pro 10 mm socket does fit the SAE 3/8" nuts and bolts as well as a 10 mm size nuts as I hoped. Now my Metrinch 48 piece set is complete again.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
The HFT Pittsburgh Pro 10 mm socket does fit the SAE 3/8" nuts and bolts as well as a 10 mm size nuts as I hoped. Now my Metrinch 48 piece set is complete again.

I too own the original 48pc Metrinch Set.
It sure would be nice to have a few back ups on hand.

The HFT 10pc you mentioned......was that Item # 67940 ?

Snoofer, yes, it is a Pittsburgh Pro p.n. 67940 which is in Metric, but at least in some sizes, fits both Metric and SAE. It is Chrome 10 pc. 1/4" drive and has no ratchet handle with it. Sizes are 5 mm to 14 mm. When I was putting these sockets in my tool box, I came up with a great idea----that didn't work. I thought I would relocate the adapter (for the 3/8" to 1/4") to the insides of a large socket. That would make room for a Pitts. Pro 14mm socket in 1/4" size in the old adapter slot. It wouldn't fit. Socket is too big. BTW I am planning on buying the 3/8" drive Pitts. Pro set to have as Metrinch spares. I carry the Metrinch tool kit in the car and use it all the time. I can't stand it when I lose a socket.

Right on .....Thanks for the Info.

Ill be stopping by HF on the way to work.
I haven't lost or busted any of the Metrinch in 13 yrs.
But you never know when your kid decides to rearrange the Toolbox.

Jim, whennyou say the 67940 sockets have rounded lobes - are they the metrinch type lobes, or are they more like the flank drive/surface drive/suregrip sockets?

The # 67940 are six point and instead of flat sides, each of the six sides are convex. I said tuliped in an earlier post. They are not like the new Kobalt or Sears sockets which are multi-splined to grab -as their TV ads say- square, Torx, star, hex, and other bolt and nut configurations. I don't know what the flank drive/surface drive/suregrip sockets are.
Metrinch in their TV info mercials used to say the Metrinch were designed to grab Metric, SAE, rusted, rounded, bolts and nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back