Sound of my timing belt rubbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed out the timing belt on my '04 srt-4. When I started it up it sounded like the timing belt was rubbing, I removed the accessory belts and a plastic shield to rule those parts out, still rubbing. Sounded like this

Then I pushed the crank sprocket in another milimeter or two and the sound was greatly reduced but still there. From the looks of it though, I can not see anyplace where it is rubbing. Is it possible that it is making this whirring noise because the belt is new and it just needs to be run in a bit?

Here it is after pushing in the sprocket slightly further. I can't go much further than that before the belt starts rubbing on the oil pump housing.

The ticking sound I believe is normal on SRT-4s but it does have me a little shocked that it's louder than normal. Maybe because the engine is still cold.

Sounds like the crank sprocket is still off a bit, it is set to a specific depth from the factory and you need to make sure it is set back to that depth. I used the crank sprocket tool on mine(6792). This might sound dumb, but when you put the sprocket back on did you make sure the lip was facing away from the block?

Yeah it's on the right way. Where did you get that tool?, my dealer won't sell or loan any of that.

The thing is my belt seems to be centered and not rubbing on anything yet it is still making a slight whirring sound...

You'd see rubbing on the belt. Look closely.
She may just need to seat in before it sounds better.
Maybe a pulley or tensioner noise?
That play in the crank pulley has me wondering...
Do you have too much end play in the crank [thrust bearing problem]?

Originally Posted By: 7055
Yeah it's on the right way. Where did you get that tool?, my dealer won't sell or loan any of that.

When I did the TB job on my SRT4 I was able to borrow all the special tools from my buddy who is a Dodge mechanic, but then I bought a beater neon and bought all the tools. Here is the tool you need.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

This belongs in the Health & Wellness forum.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
You'd see rubbing on the belt. Look closely.
She may just need to seat in before it sounds better.
Maybe a pulley or tensioner noise?
That play in the crank pulley has me wondering...

Couldn't see evidence of the belt rubbing on the belt itself, even after making all that noise.

Pulley or tensioner noise, possible. Don't have enough experience to know what it sounds like. Crank play is unlikely, couldn't notice any crank play.

The noise getting reduced could be the timing belt seating in or I reduced how much it rubs, my guess is it's one of those two. Going to put it back together and drive and see what happens.

I have that tool in my toolbox and I will never use it again. I used it once on my old '95 Neon.

Let me know if you want it.

You have more of a clicking noise with a minor whirring noise.

From the belts we have done on Neons/SRT-4's it's usually the tensioner that is the problem.

You can check to see if the belt is lined dead on with the crank sprocket and the cam sprocket by using a ruler and a laser pointer.

Place the ruler, flat on the cam sprocket and place the laser pointer against the ruler. Then aim the LP down to the crank sprocket and see if it's lines up.

Put it back together and drove it everywhere yesterday seems to be fine now.

I recall when I did a timing belt on a Kia Sportage that it made a sound similar to yours for about 100 miles or so and then quieted down. I had changed everything. Belt, tensioner, and water pump. Drove it for 30K miles after wards with no issues.
Noise never came back so I figured belt just needed to seat into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back