Sorry Jeep 4.0 users...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid me.

I changed the oil on the '88 Cherokee yesterday. I was looking forward to seeing how the Rotella T 5w40 was doing in there.

I finished the oil change a put the bottle on the shelf next to the shipping container. Went back to the Jeep and did a tranny fluid change and rotated the tires, as well as some other stuff.

I went to grab the sample to package it up, and promptly knocked it on the floor where it exploded all over.

Of course, taking it out of the oil pan is asking for skewed results, especially when mixed in nearly equal parts ATF!

RATS! No Rotella T 5w40 sample for another 4 months...

Sorry for the delays - I know we are all having fun seeing what these oils can do in the 4.0!

If you read instructions on how to take an oil sample, you will notice that you must close the lid as quickly as possible. You need to minimize exposure to air. So consider yourself lucky since your contaminated sample would have shown wrong numbers anyway
frown.gif

Dagnabit and I was waiting on that sample too. Well the the run that was spilled can be called a rinse to get the other old stuff out.
smile.gif

vvk - the bottle was closed immediatly after taking the sample.

When the bottle fell, the CAP shattered, causing the oil to explode.

Even my drain tub is closed after I'm done with it!
wink.gif

[ February 16, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: MNgopher ]

That's nothing. While in the Army during a urinalysis test I dropped a full test bottle before putting the cap on. Had to wait two hours to retake the test.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
Stupid me.

I changed the oil on the '88 Cherokee yesterday. I was looking forward to seeing how the Rotella T 5w40 was doing in there.

I finished the oil change a put the bottle on the shelf next to the shipping container. Went back to the Jeep and did a tranny fluid change and rotated the tires, as well as some other stuff.

I went to grab the sample to package it up, and promptly knocked it on the floor where it exploded all over.

Of course, taking it out of the oil pan is asking for skewed results, especially when mixed in nearly equal parts ATF!

RATS! No Rotella T 5w40 sample for another 4 months...

Sorry for the delays - I know we are all having fun seeing what these oils can do in the 4.0!

Oh man.....what a shame! After all the driving and waiting one goes through, I think I would rather have someone slap me on the face than lose my sample!
spaz.gif

Sorry!
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pepper32:
That's nothing. While in the Army during a urinalysis test I dropped a full test bottle before putting the cap on. Had to wait two hours to retake the test.

I haven't done one of those in ~3 years! I better knock on wood.....I don't like the idea of someone staring at Oscar Myers!
thumbsdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back