Sorry Dex Cool haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
DexCool poisoned that rat in KFC and caused him to fall into the fryer. Drinking DexCool caused the mutations that resulted in Bigfoot. DexCool causes sunspots, global warming and STD's. Peewee Herman's mother drank DexCool when she was pregnant.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I've spent plenty of time on Ranger boards, 113K miles is not that great out of a water pump. Mine is 10 years old with 125K miles and is doing fine. It has only had G-05 in it...coincidence?

Yessir it is

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
We own more than one of every V8 GM makes in our fleet.

Not a one has ever required any cooling system work before 200k+ miles. One works everyday with over 400k miles.

All are dex-cooled. Never changed until something breaks.

And I have changed many a late model water pump and NEVER seen any damage to the oring type gaskets used at the block.

unfortunately, when the LT1's water pump fails, it doesn't just fail alone. It's an murder/suicide with the Optispark.
If I was an LT1 owner (and given the proper '96 Impala SS, that is not that unlikely) I would have concerns about using DexCool.

^^^I can't even help you there! I owned a killer SS Impala that I eventually turned into an 11 second monster car.

Ran Dex in two different engines! Never a peep. But I only had the car about 4 years.

I've heard about the LT1 issues, but never experienced them. I even bought a camaro with high miles (170k) and resold it and the car ran well.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Not a one has ever required any cooling system work before 200k+ miles. One works everyday with over 400k miles.

And I have changed many a late model water pump and NEVER seen any damage to the oring type gaskets used at the block.

unfortunately, when the LT1's water pump fails, it doesn't just fail alone. It's an murder/suicide with the Optispark.
If I was an LT1 owner (and given the proper '96 Impala SS, that is not that unlikely) I would have concerns about using DexCool.

I would change the Opti**** ignition over to a coil near plug conversion setup before I would EVER change out the DexCool, if I ever owned an LT1.
wink.gif

bought my 04 cavalier in 2006 never changed the coolant since it wasnt ready obviously. well in 2007 the engine took a [censored] due to hydra-lock.Master Tech changed out the coolant been fine since then no sludge in the reservoir.

My whys car had dexcool since 1999 chaged it out back in 2005 and the system was all sludgy. Drained it out all out added convential green been changing it every 2 years and still the gunk keeps on showing up in the water reservoir. I did a complete flush made sure to not leave dexcool behind. Still the resevoir keeps getting orange sludge and the fluid is always dark green.

I was going to replace the dex in our 07 Hummer this fall due to 5 years but it only has 20,000 miles. Coolant looks good. After reading this it sounds OK not to replace?

Originally Posted By: hummdrumm

I was going to replace the dex in our 07 Hummer this fall due to 5 years but it only has 20,000 miles. Coolant looks good. After reading this it sounds OK not to replace?

I would still replace it. Age matters much more than mileage with coolant.

At the rate you are driving your Hummer, it will have 200,000 miles when it is 50 years old, but that doesn't mean you can keep the coolant that long. 5 years is a good rule of thumb for ANY coolant.

Originally Posted By: tightwad
Peewee Herman's mother drank DexCool when she was pregnant.

I always wondered about him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hummdrumm

If it looks good, just do a drain/refill. That's what I did on my 06 last year. Probably around 8-10 quarts of fluid will come out just by pulling the lower radiator hose, then refill. I like Zerex or Havoline Dexcool.

Wow. I thought I might start something. Oh well. My favorite question from above though is "was this preventative maintenance?" Huh? Who does that? Who changes their water pump as a preventative measure? How do you know when to do that? That is just funny.

For the record, no it was not for preventative maintenance. It started leaking.

I just did a coolant flush and fill about a little over a month ago and have had no problem yet and I had it refilled with Dexcool and it ended up needing a new water pump so I went and bought a Driveworks Re manufactured one from where I work, also put in a new thermostat, and coolant temp sensor too and have had it in for over a month now, with almost 1,000 miles on new coolant and re manufactured water pump and have had no problems thus far with Dexcool.

I have used so many different brands and types of coolants in all vehicles over the year and have never had any coolant related problems...Ever!

I have had rotted radiators due to age.
I have had to replace water pumps...Due to age. 100K miles was always a benchmark age for water pumps. But, I have gone 200K miles before replacing a WP.
I have replaced leaky IMG's and or HG's...In vehicles that were known for these issues.

But not coolant related issues in engines that were maintained reasonably well. I have always maintained the cooling systems mainly due to...I just don't want to have to replace the heater core. What a PITA!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I have used so many different brands and types of coolants in all vehicles over the year and have never had any coolant related problems...Ever!

I have had rotted radiators due to age.
I have had to replace water pumps...Due to age. 100K miles was always a benchmark age for water pumps. But, I have gone 200K miles before replacing a WP.
I have replaced leaky IMG's and or HG's...In vehicles that were known for these issues.

But not coolant related issues in engines that were maintained reasonably well. I have always maintained the cooling systems mainly due to...I just don't want to have to replace the heater core. What a PITA!

DITTO.

Maintenance is the key... Drain and fills every few years and most likely you will never have any coolant issues.

Hello, I just wanted to report on the "restoration to Dex-Cool" I performed the other day. The 2002 Saab 9-5 Linear wagon we sold our friend's son developed the all-too-common coolant bypass valve leak. TRANSLATION: the heater control valve on the firewall leaked. When I changed the valve I also drained the witches brew of various coolants the kid had concocted. I am so happy to tell you he didn't let the coolant level drop. The system drained and rinsed cleanly. After a couple of gargles with distilled water I added the gallon of neat Dex-Cool. Job done. Now both 2002- Saabs are back "in the red". The 1999 9-5 got a clean-out and change to G-05. Kira

I've had bad luck with dexcool in my daughters grand am. I've also seen it cause no issues with other vehicles. I have no idea either way whether dex or the cooling system design causes issues

New (to the family) 08 Grand Pix purchased with 69k 6 mos ago. I've never seen coolant that bad. None of my Asian cars did that no matter how many miles were on the coolant. Forget sludge, it feels like sand is in there. Red/orange blobs hard and crumbly. No doubt thats wearing out the pump seal and plugging up the system. 2 drains with peak global lifetime it was still pretty bad. Started adding RMI-25 and phew, problem mostly solved. Did the PO change the coolant? Doesn't look that way. But I'm sorry, there's no excuse for that coolant condition at 69k.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
New (to the family) 08 Grand Pix purchased with 69k 6 mos ago. I've never seen coolant that bad. None of my Asian cars did that no matter how many miles were on the coolant. Forget sludge, it feels like sand is in there. Red/orange blobs hard and crumbly. No doubt thats wearing out the pump seal and plugging up the system. 2 drains with peak global lifetime it was still pretty bad. Started adding RMI-25 and phew, problem mostly solved. Did the PO change the coolant? Doesn't look that way. But I'm sorry, there's no excuse for that coolant condition at 69k.

Usually the red/orange blobs you describe are "Stop Leak" tabs or something along those lines. I have read that they are put in from the factory in some vehicles (not just GM).

Had to replace the WP gaskets on my 02 Silverado 5.3L with 97k on it. Although evidence (caked coolant residue on steering rack) showed that the gaskets failed long time ago.

Funny, it would only leak if the truck hasn't been driven in several days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back