Sorry, Are You Missing Something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out looking at prices and specs for tires yesterday. I went to NTB to get a price quote for tires. I noticed oil tracked from one of their bays that stopped by the front door, then continued on leaving the parking lot. I asked the front desk guy and he stated one of their "mechanics" forgot to install an oil filter after an oil change and the customer drove off not knowing it was missing. They walked back after the engine was void of oil, and the engine locked up and I have no idea what happened after that.....they wouldn't say. It had happened a couple hours before I was there....

How do you forget to install an oil filter?!?!

IMG_0009_zpsd3f78390.jpg

IMG_0010_zpsc0392e33.jpg

Notice the car exiting the one way entrance even with the "DO NOT ENTER" sign.....haha

It seems there are multiple senseless people in this area. Maybe that was the "mechanic" leaving the scene....

It always baffle me when people try to memorise what they need accomplished.why ?every company spend a huge amount of money to have the proper methodology avail for employe so they can churn out the best possible amount of work per hour .take freightliner.they can tell you each part how much time it take to be took apart by the personnel that designed it ,not a mechanic.

I know,i ll remember it!rofl!why bother !methodology was created to optimise the work per hour done lol.

Remind me to NEVER go to that NTB for an oil change...

At my old office, the street outside the campus gate was very steep and had a cross street about halfway up, so there was a level spot where cars would tend to bottom out as they came down the hill. There was a manhole that had heaved up in the middle of the level spot. One day I was coming down the hill, and noticed an oil trail starting at the protruding manhole. It ran the rest of the way down the hill and turned into the gate outside my office. It continued in and around to near where I typically parked. Two spots away from me sat the car of one of our designers with a huge oil patch spreading out from under it. I went inside and asked her if she had bottomed out coming down the hill - she gave me a response along the lines of 'I don't know... why?'. I, as gently as I could manage, told her to go outside and look.

Replacing an oil pan beats replacing an engine, but it's still not something I want to do on a regular basis.

Mechanic was most likely interrupted for the 400th time that day or on his cellphone,,it happens..

I doubt that's an engine running with NO oil filter fitted...at a gallon per minute at idle, the car would have to get out of the shop, to the line, but turned off and someone missed the puddle. Started, and driven off.

I've seen one wrong filter fitted (mine), one filter fitted with two gaskets (neighbour), and two filter have rolled seam failures.

All three built pressure enough to stop the oil light, and left decent trails far enough down the road to look like that pic.

None of us are perfect, none of us live in a perfect world, none of us have never made a mistake.

How do you forget to install an oil filter?!?!

I have no idea, I wasn't there, but the installer goofed.

Tell me this how does a surgeon leave a sponge in a patient and sew them up?

Could be he didn't tighten the oil filter, didn't put the correct filter for the app on, etc....

I talked to the desk guy. He didn't seem to know much about his own job, let alone what someone else was doing. He may have been mistaken on it being an oil filter left off. Either way, a mistake was made that shouldn't have been made and potential damage was done to an engine that should not have happened.

But, he did state it was an oil filter that was forgotten. So, from the amount of oil, I can see that as being realistic.

This is one of the many reasons I do my own maintenance.

People make mistakes, no doubt. But one of the basics of changing oil is check for leaks before driving off. It is quite obvious that wasn't done.

A guy making 10 bucks a hour made a mistake is what likely happened.

He could of been behind his productivity quota for the day and rushed thru the job knowing he had to compete the service in 5 minutes so he could move on to the next job. Or to maintain his productivity quota he rushed thru the job.

Similar thing happened to my friend when his wife took his BMW 740il to a Jiffy Lube and the tech stripped the drain bolt. Much slower leak as she got about 5+ miles down the interstate before the big event.
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I doubt that's an engine running with NO oil filter fitted...at a gallon per minute at idle, the car would have to get out of the shop, to the line, but turned off and someone missed the puddle. Started, and driven off.

I've seen one wrong filter fitted (mine), one filter fitted with two gaskets (neighbour), and two filter have rolled seam failures.

All three built pressure enough to stop the oil light, and left decent trails far enough down the road to look like that pic.

I gotta agree here. A 350 engine will empty the oil pan at idle via the oil filter in less than a minute,if actually raising the rpm above idle we are talking 30 seconds tops.

To me that looks like the oil filters gasket wasn't removed and ended up doubled or some form of gasket failure.

Well, no matter the manner of the mistake, it still is one of the many of reasons a lot of us came here in the first place.

The only person I trust to do the job right is me. (or dad)

I am now in the habit of checking work done by someone other than me. Had a friend change seal on manual transmission, I checked lube level, ended up adding a quart and a half additional lube, this was in Mazda Protege. I have found lug nuts hand tight more than once, or else on so tight i had to take car back to shop, where mech couldn't even get them loose with impact gun.

That's exactly it. A lube shop isn't making money by having a certified mechanic with 30 years experience spending an hour on your vehicle and using a boutique synthetic with a top end filter, all the while charging $20.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
The only person I trust to do the job right is me. (or dad)

I can't trust myself, either!

I've made some epic goofs. Like the time I forgot to fully tighten the lug nuts after I took the my car down off the jackstands. And forgot to put the lug wrench back in the trunk, too.

Then there was the time I did brake work but forgot to fasten the brake line back in place... rubbed a hole in the brake line and lost the fluid.

crazy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back