Sophos Endpoint Agent - scan schedule?

My company laptop has Sophos Endpoint Agent installed and it is scheduled to run a full system scan every day at 12:30 PM. While it runs, it chews up resources and makes the fan run loud, so that's annoying. I've asked my IT support to schedule it at a different time of day. They claim they've checked with Sophos and there is no way to change it, which I find hard to believe. Anyone know if there is a way?

I see that Sophos put a scan task in Windows (10) Task Scheduler and I am able to modify it there; however, within 24 hours it reverts itself back to the original schedule - I'm guessing Sophos Agent reinstates that task based on its own schedule. Is there some way in Windows 10 that I can "protect" this task from being modified by Sophos?

The Sophos Endpoint Agent app does not have any user configurable settings.

they probably have a group policy and changing your scheduled time would mean making a different policy and adding you to it or changing everyones. "one offs" are the bane of IT support.

Is this while you're on the road? If not and you're at the workplace, why aren't you using a desktop? Would have more memory to handle it not to mention a bigger screen and full size keyboard. Otherwise add more memory or delete or move files and programs to the cloud to make the scan quicker.

Is this while you're on the road? If not and you're at the workplace, why aren't you using a desktop?
It's more flexible this way. Typically I use it in the office but occasionally I also travel with it.

Would have more memory to handle it not to mention a bigger screen and full size keyboard.
It has plenty of memory. I have it connected to a large monitor and external keyboard and mouse.

Otherwise add more memory or delete or move files and programs to the cloud to make the scan quicker.
The main issue is that the CPU utilization goes up and the fan becomes more audible which is a bit annoying.

I am not sure that is going to fly: The application must be reverting its configuration at run-time and it might be a losing battle to try to change it.

I wonder, though, if you could set the application itself to run with a lower priority (in Linux we refer to this parameter as "nice"). If the system is otherwise idle the application might still stress it a bit; but with a lower priority it may remain "out of the way" as you work on other things simultaneously.

EDIT: Here is how to set the priority for a running application. It seems like a bugger - especially without admin privileges on the system - to permanently set that priority level for the application; although some comments in that thread allude to applications that manage priority levels.

Last edited:
My company laptop has Sophos Endpoint Agent installed and it is scheduled to run a full system scan every day at 12:30 PM. While it runs, it chews up resources and makes the fan run loud, so that's annoying. I've asked my IT support to schedule it at a different time of day. They claim they've checked with Sophos and there is no way to change it, which I find hard to believe. Anyone know if there is a way?

I see that Sophos put a scan task in Windows (10) Task Scheduler and I am able to modify it there; however, within 24 hours it reverts itself back to the original schedule - I'm guessing Sophos Agent reinstates that task based on its own schedule. Is there some way in Windows 10 that I can "protect" this task from being modified by Sophos?

The Sophos Endpoint Agent app does not have any user configurable settings.
Sophos can have a schedule and it's configurable by admin, they can change hours but that'd affect everyone in that tenant.

How long is rhe scan taking? If it's doing it daily I would think it would be fairly quick.

Back