Soot level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a UOA done at the last oil change and the soot level was at 1.9%. Is that good, bad, middle of the road? 6800 miles on the Chevron Delo 15w40 oil in my '07 Dodge 5.9 dually with just about 60,000 miles on it. Anybody?

I've never had more than 0.2%, but that's using Fleetguard Stratapore/Donaldson Endurance full flows and the Amsoil BMK-11 bypass filtration unit.
That is kinda high...What kind of filter are you using? Are you running a program/chip/tuner?

I think it was a Baldwin, whatever they use at the fleet oil change place. I have been running Smarty Jr. on #1 for the last oil change. Been thinking of bumping it up to the #2 setting. The air filter is an AFE drop in, with no air box mods. I have Fleetguard Stratapore oil filter in this time. The report didn't flag anything and said "analysis indicates proper performance of the lubricant and unit".

Odd...nothing really out of the "ordinary" for a Dodge Cummins. I'm running stock fueling on my 06 and it's always the same (0.2) Possibly a lab error, or even contamination on their part? I've had it happen to me...
Don't worry this time around, but if your soot stays the same or creeps up, then it's probably time to do some investigating.

The highest I've seen on any of our equipment is like a .5% and that stuff usually gets flagged for high viscosity due to soot content and if you get any on your fingers it takes forever to wipe off. I'd say it's gotta be some kind of typo or error.

Seen soot levels that high or higher before, but not in your application. Delo has pretty good dispersancy so it should keep wear in check even at those levels so long as your viscosity doesn't go out of grade. I'd UOA on your next change and see what you get. Off road equipment can get that high pretty quick, but your pick-up should be good to go unless you got a wide-open EGR or a plugged airfilter.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
Odd...nothing really out of the "ordinary" for a Dodge Cummins. I'm running stock fueling on my 06 and it's always the same (0.2) Possibly a lab error, or even contamination on their part? I've had it happen to me...
Don't worry this time around, but if your soot stays the same or creeps up, then it's probably time to do some investigating.

Just to clarify, I meant nothing out of the ordinary with regards to the program and setup you have with your truck.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the input. I will UOA next change and see if the Stratapore filter helps.

Originally Posted By: Arkapigdiesel
hog, seems high. Who did your analysis?

My guess is Blackstone...
28.gif

The fleet/big rig oil change place here local has a machine to analyze your oil while you wait.

Originally Posted By: hogpops
The fleet/big rig oil change place here local has a machine to analyze your oil while you wait.

I used a Rotella express one time (same kind of idea) and they came back with Potassium and silicon contamination, as well as 2% fuel. I told them I wanted my money back after I went to a CAT lab and everything turned out normal.
They don't usually employ qualified lab technicians to analyze your oil at those stops.

Originally Posted By: hogpops

Eeek. Not saying I wouldn't trust that, but I'm saying I wouldn't trust that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back