Sonata heat issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Hyundai Sonata V6 Limited
50,000 miles

I need some ideas on what's going on here.

The heat in the car works normally if the car is started cold, like the first time in the morning, or after it's been sitting all day.

The heat will not work if the car if you start it after it's been sitting anywhere from 10 minutes to 3-4 hours. It also went out a couple of times after a > 5 minute idle.

I want to see if there are some easy fixes I can do on my own before I take it somewhere.

The coolant is full and the temperature gauge reads in the normal range when the car warms up.

Thanks for any ideas!

Do you loose heat with all settings? Dash, feet, defrost?

Just trying to eliminate the possibility of a bad blend-door actuator. Can't say I've heard of any of this type of issue with a Hyundai product.

Joel

Something HVAC related would be 3/36 I'd think. Only p-train items are 10/100 and that's only for the original owner. Subsequent owners are 5/60 for p-train.

Joel

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: Rand
that should be under warranty?

Couldn't agree more. Put that 10 year/100k warranty to work!

10 year/100k warranty is only the power train. Depending on the component the warranty can be as little as 1 year, ie air condition refrigerant charge. Most components are 5 years/60,000 miles but navigation systems, radio is only 3 years/36,000 miles.

I would expect this to fall under the 5 years/60,000 miles so it would be best to get it to the dealership ASAP.

That is the biggest complaint I have about Hyundai's is how they make it appear they have a bumper to bumper 10 years/100,000 mile warranty but this isn't the case. Funny thing is I think that is what attracts a lot of buyers but once you get in the finance room and they start trying to sell you the "Hyundai Protection Plan" they really downplay the warranty that comes with the vehicle.

Rod

Originally Posted By: Rodraid

That is the biggest complaint I have about Hyundai's is how they make it appear they have a bumper to bumper 10 years/100,000 mile warranty but this isn't the case. Funny thing is I think that is what attracts a lot of buyers but once you get in the finance room and they start trying to sell you the "Hyundai Protection Plan" they really downplay the warranty that comes with the vehicle.

Rod

Yea Kia is pretty much the same. Although, the 2nd Kia I bought, the finance guy remembered me from the first time and didn't bother with the dog and pony show. Thankfully.

KIA is owned by Hyundai.

Imagine whats going to happen when all warranty expires.
This is why I shun any late model (or even 2000-up vehicles.)
With all the complicated (as in expensive) electronics/diagnostics/specialized tools no 10 year old car will be worth thousands to repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back