Sonata 2017 , 77K miles. Burning engine oil.

Hello guys,
Thanks for having me here.

I have a question related to my Hyundai Sonata 2017 (77500 mostly Highway miles).
My vehicle is consuming engine oil (comparatively more on freeways than in city). The oil level dropped from level F to mid in ~800 mile range , gosh.
I was just wondering that will it be a good choice to get it repaired or should I start looking for another vehicle!?
How much will be the repair cost!?
Also, will the dealership do any justice to me as I am the first owner of the vehicle and I use it for personal purposes only.

Thanks a ton.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Are you a member of the Sonata forum?

If not, you should post this question there to get more specific information to your Hyundai Sonata.

Also, you could do a search on that forum and will see possible causes of your problem from other members who may have already experienced it and found a solution.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Isn't that still under warranty?

Not sure what Hyundai says, but you'd be surprised what some mfrs consider "normal oil consumption". A friend once told me his VW consumed 1qt in 1000 miles and VW told him this was acceptable.

Yes , as per the norms it is still in warranty.
The Hyundai dealership told me that 2-3 quarts within service-to-service is normal.. lolz
I'll try posting the question to a sonata forum, good idea
smile.gif

Last edited:
If you're positive it's consuming and not leaking, now is a great time to trade it on a better quality car. Hyundai is hit or miss with their mechanicals. Good luck.

If it was me would run an oil change of Redline "High Performance " oil and NOT their Professional Series, 5w-30 oil, to get some cleaning ester's in there. Or even better and the best choice do an oil change of Valvoline Restore 10w-30.($70gallon plus delivery)that is made specifically for cleaning coked ring lands.

Don't top it off, see how many miles it takes to get to the add line for an accurate point.

I had a 15' Sonata 2.4L I traded in last December, had 108k miles and always consumed 1 quart per 5k miles which isn't bad.

How about:
*What engine is this; 2.4L, 2.0T, 1.6 eco?
*Check the PCV system...AND
*Did you change grade of oil, such as going from 5W30/10W30 to a 0W20?
*Did you all of a sudden go from conventional oil to synthetic?
*Get as much documentation as possible including from others with the same engine as yours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mainia
If it was me would run an oil change of Redline "High Performance " oil and NOT their Professional Series, 5w-30 oil, to get some cleaning ester's in there. Or even better and the best choice do an oil change of Valvoline Restore 10w-30.($70gallon plus delivery)that is made specifically for cleaning coked ring lands.

How much ester is there in Red Line? Not much.

Originally Posted by MikeHeal
Hello guys,
Thanks for having me here.

I have a question related to my Hyundai Sonata 2017 (77500 mostly Highway miles).
My vehicle is consuming engine oil (comparatively more on freeways than in city). The oil level dropped from level F to mid in ~800 mile range , gosh.
I was just wondering that will it be a good choice to get it repaired or should I start looking for another vehicle!?
How much will be the repair cost!?
Also, will the dealership do any justice to me as I am the first owner of the vehicle and I use it for personal purposes only.

Thanks a ton.
smile.gif

Dropped to mid what? Halfway to the add mark? We need to know the consumption ratio in quarts per mile ( like one quart in 1000 miles)

Have you checked for leaks?

I Used to have a 2000 Sonata w/ the old 2.4l...in the 8 yrs, and 100k mi I had it, it almost ALWAYS burned 1 qt/1k mi. the manual called for 5w20, but, I always ran Valvoline 10w30.(vwb until it hit 75Kmi, then maxlife) .

heck I JUST found out(10 years after selling it) that that car had a Cabin Filter...oops! never changed that in 8 years/100k mi...

1600 miles per quart is high. I have a 2008 RAV 4 been drinking oil at a rate of 1200 miles per quart for 5 years now. Unless your Sonata is getting worse, I think you will have to live with it.

On the good side, if your replacing a quart every 1600, after about 7000 miles, you have basically replaced the entire crankcase of oil, so no reason to do oil changes near as often.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Mainia

How much ester is there in Red Line? Not much.

Oxidation #s are in the 90s last time I looked.

Short answer. . . . let the oil level come down to about the midway between "full" and "low" marks on the dipstick and see if it stays there before topping it off. Hyundai recently changed the dipsticks on these engines causing overfilling that WILL cause the "excess" oil to be consumed. --Rob

Originally Posted by PetitFrereArmada
Are you a member of the Sonata forum?

If not, you should post this question there to get more specific information to your Hyundai Sonata.

Also, you could do a search on that forum and will see possible causes of your problem from other members who may have already experienced it and found a solution.

Joining that group is the thing to do absolutely. Secondly set up spot with the dealer NOW. Tell him what it is and don't candy coat it. Chances are he's heard it 5 times by Friday every week. They will change the oil or at least top it off and record the mileage then have you come back to verify it's guzzling.
Just play the game And you'll get your new engine andd it shouldn't cost you a dime . They should give you a nice almost new loaner while it's down which shouldNt be more than 3 days. Nothing to it really.. Do get signed up with the Hyundai forums. They are very helpful and there's a couple Hyundai mechanics on there who know all the tricks to solving mechanical things.

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/

Last edited:
if your running the thin xxw20 in your climate a 10-30 is better. usually any brand name fake synthetic will do. girlfriends 18 kia 2.5 uses NO oil between recommended 5 thou or 6 month intervals. using quaker state ultimate durability, just 20 bucks at wallys, OE kia filter aka hyundai at 5 . your use is prolly a half qt + running harder on interstates can thin oil as it gets hotter + use some, hence dump the 20 wt water!!

Last edited:
I think no matter of what oil the engine used, it will still burning oil because of engine defect.
I will get the stealership to run the test.
Hopefully, they fix it under warranty.

In the Toyota 2.4L engine, the stealership fill up the oil and seal the fill cap.
Then, the owner needs to come back after 1000 miles, if it is low by more than a certain amount, then they fix it.
I think they did a warranty extension for that fix like 10 years or 150k miles.
So, most have been out now.

Last edited:
Back