Sonata 2017 , 77K miles. Burning engine oil.

If it were mine I would address with dealership first. If you do not like there answer call Hyundai customer service. Number is listed on MyHyundai website. I had my 2017 Elantra one week and brake booster was recalled. Dealership service advisor said they would replace mine when all the Elantras on their lot were done first. When I bought my car their website listed 204 Elantras. Called Hyundai and they scheduled my appointment that week. BTW, I use 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum, 5w-20 Untra Platinum in Fall/Winter. Next week will be using 10w-30 Chevron Supreme which is my Summer oil. I am not noticing any difference in mileage between those oils.

I had a 2011 Sonata with the 2.4L GDi engine. After 5 years/72,000 miles it was going through 1qt of oil every 800 miles. Adding a qt of oil every 2 weeks got really old. One of the (many) reasons I traded it in.

Keep monitoring it. I would not get rid of car unless bought used because Hyundai sedans depreciation like rocks in water. If you get over <1000 miles/quart then let Hyundai know and they will do a consumption test.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
How about: *What engine is this; 2.4L, 2.0T, 1.6 eco? *Check the PCV system...AND *Did you change grade of oil, such as going from 5W30/10W30 to a 0W20? *Did you all of a sudden go from conventional oil to synthetic? *Get as much documentation as possible including from others with the same engine as yours.
I was going to say PCV. But I know nothing of Hyundai's so take that advice lightly.

Stories like this sound pretty appalling. I'm driving a 23-year-old car with over 350,000 miles which uses less than 1/2 quart in 5000 miles, and most of that is from minor oil drips rather than burning. (Hey the engine started out as a British design, they like to mark their territory.) A low-mileage car just a few years old with the kind of oil consumption reported here is just mind-boggling.

Last edited:

Nick1994

$50 Site Donor
Originally Posted by Saabist
Stories like this sound pretty appalling. I'm driving a 23-year-old car with over 350,000 miles which uses less than 1/2 quart in 5000 miles, and most of that is from minor oil drips rather than burning. (Hey the engine started out as a British design, they like to mark their territory.) A low-mileage car just a few years old with the kind of oil consumption reported here is just mind-boggling.
Yeah, but all that burning oil keeps the muffler bearings lubricated.

OP, have you owned it since new? What is your maintenance interval? What type of oil/filter do you use? Any specific gasoline brand or fuel system cleaner that you use? And lastly, has it always used a little oil or did this begin out of nowhere? As an owner of a Hyundai Theta II engine I'm interested (as are many others) in the failures of these engines.