Son needs a vehicle

He has already driven (or owned, not sure) an X3 and an XC90.

A Cayenne will be more reliable, on average, than either. People forget that Porsche regularly ranks at or near the top in dependability and customer satisfaction. Add in the robust aftermarket where every "common problem" has an overbuilt solution and it's hard to lose.

If you were my son….. I’d give you half the money to buy a used Cayenne.

Don’t be complaining when it breaks down, you are stranded on the side of the highway and you need to get it towed to the dealer for $5000 repairs.

Honda Passport, Mazda CX-5, Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer, Subaru, etc…. are better choices.

If you were my son….. I’d give you half the money to buy a used Cayenne.

Don’t be complaining when it breaks down, you are stranded on the side of the highway and you need to get it towed to the dealer for $5000 repairs.

Honda Passport, Mazda CX-5, Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer, Subaru, etc…. are better choices.
Imagine thinking a Ford Explorer or Subaru are more reliable than a Cayenne.

I'll give you the Honda, Highlander, and maybe the CX-5.

But is this a car for an LT or grandpa?

13-19 Ford Escape S with the 2.5. If you need more gizmos than the S trim provides or more power than the 2.5 puts out I’d look at a Rav 4 or Highlander.

The base Escapes can be a great deal for a small SUV that lacks the problems that come from the higher trim lines and engines in the escape platform. That 2.5 is rock solid.

13-19 Ford Escape S with the 2.5. If you need more gizmos than the S trim provides or more power than the 2.5 puts out I’d look at a Rav 4 or Highlander.

The base Escapes can be a great deal for a small SUV that lacks the problems that come from the higher trim lines and engines in the escape platform. That 2.5 is rock solid.
The only problem with the Escape is it's the "bland mobile" in anything but the most expensive trim. Even then there are far better choices. Ford realizes it has a slow mover in the Escape and is putting all available electronic chips to the Ford Edge. The sales reports for last month bear this out.

He could get a V6 Camry, have a class II hitch installed and rent an enclosed 5'X8' Uhaul trailer when he moves. But, this is North America, and you need an F150 or larger to tow anything while Europeans have no hang ups towing a travel trailer with a VW Golf.

View attachment 102072
Well to be fair they are totally different trailer setup than we have here. Low tongue weight lighter overall. That is probably one 3500 lbs axle the trailer is probably 3000lbs loaded. I would tow the one shown with all of my vehicles too. If you look at the crap, um trailers we get here the axles are pushed back so the tow vehicle has more weight on the tongue. It is more the trailer than the vehicle here in the states.

CX-5 is very reliable, my daughter in law has one and it’s basically a bigger Mazda3 with 2.5L non turbo engine.

He can have my X3d for $21k even. Reliable, good on fuel, roomy but not too big.

See link in sig.

Back