Son just got license, Wow! $1300 a year insurance increase, liability only...

Teen boy is high risk, many got into accident either due to insufficient skill and many are just doing the teen thing getting into trouble till they are in their mid 20s. I think part of the reason people don't want to drive is the cost just aren't great compare to getting a ride and order online instead of 'hanging out at the mall'.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
This varies greatly by state. I don't know how insurance companies are in California.

I switched from Allstate to Liberty Mutual recently because after 5 years with Allstate, they hiked my premium up by ~40%. I called to see why, and they said "You haven't had a claim in more than 5 years which makes you statistically due for a claim, therefore a higher risk." I dropped them that day.

Doesnt really seem like that much for a high liability driver. Dependent upon the amount of liability coverage too... $500k vs $50k obviously will differ, but since he is on your policy, Id assume its sized to protect your assets.

Maybe you could convince him he doesn't need to drive? I keep reading stories that young people are no longer interested in driving.

Shop around insurances can be better or worse depending on the combination of drivers. Switched to state farm from progressive because they had a better 3 driver rate with my son.

This varies greatly by state. I don't know how insurance companies are in California.

I switched from Allstate to Liberty Mutual recently because after 5 years with Allstate, they hiked my premium up by ~40%. I called to see why, and they said "You haven't had a claim in more than 5 years which makes you statistically due for a claim, therefore a higher risk." I dropped them that day.
Gotta love the non scammy insurance business model amirite.

Reactions: JC1
Ask if you add an additional vehicle on the policy. Nationwide reduced my premium when my son started driving if I added another vehicle. Just so happened I had still the title to a 1968 Pontiac that “someone” wrecked in 1976.
Anyway, it helped.

My auto insurance when I was in my early 20s was roughly $600 a year then, over 35 years ago. I had had one ticket and no accidents, and the insurance was basic liability on a Toyota Corolla that was several years old. $600 then would be equivalent to well over $1,300 today. That gives a little perspective.

The lady in high school printed a transcript which showed 'driver's ed' so I could get my 10% off when I moved. I mentioned I was embarrassed to be in the darn school and she said, "Don't be silly. It's free money. Come back whenever you need to even if you're 80."

I'll skip the cocaine boys who inherited their parents' insurance business and kept switching me to unheard of companies as I had a perfect record and made use of "AAA insurance". There is none per se. They hooked me up with Travelers and I've shopped several times over the years following and found them to be consistently low in price.

I knew a guy who drove drunk and knocked down 9 little posts -the kind with 2 parallel cables which act as guard rails. They let him pay 6 more months of premiums then dropped him. He cried that the big, bad company did that just to get some of their money back (they paid the state rate for clipping those things) before dropping him. I told him I would've done the same thing.

The real jab came after church on a Sunday when the lady in that insurance office told his wife that they were canceling him on Monday.

Social ouch supreme.

I knew it'd go up quite a bit , but man, that much? I have Mercury. Time to shop around. Any other lower cost, decent insurance carriers that might be cheaper?

Your avatar states LA. I'm in NY and 50 years old with no tickets or accidents and I'm $900-$1200 depending on the vehicle. 2012 RAV4 is $900! 2015 F150 is still up there at $1200. I have to add my 16 year old end August/begin September and I'm shaking :oops:

With this attitude, I hope you do not have children.
Not sure what you're suggesting.

I have two girls, neither is particularly interested in driving. Youngest got her learner's in Feb, has yet to get behind the wheel. I'm going to have to make her. Oldest is two years licensed and never wants to drive. She doesn't mind it, but she has never left the house just to 'cruise', etc. We do live in a metro area and they have activities so "riding dirt roads" or driving just because you're bored is not needed.

Granted, boys would be a different story I'm sure. I LOVED when I started driving. Man, it was so exhilarating. I drove and drove all day sometimes, with absolutely nowhere to go. That was 1990 or so in rural South GA.

My insurance doubled when I added my oldest, and would have doubled again when I added the second had I not switched.

GET QUOTES EVERY 6 MONTHS!

$1300 doesn't seem too be too bad given the insurance risk. I'm down to the last kid still on our plan and I've been paying more than that per child for quite some time. I always shop around at renewal time in search of a better bargain.

YMMV

That's a statistic failure of their agents.

Maybe you could convince him he doesn't need to drive? I keep reading stories that young people are no longer interested in driving.

The first part of your statement is comical. The second part sounds like you've been doped by sensational journalism. It's not that young people aren't interested in driving. They're definitely interested. Including "young people" being those under 30, a lot of them are going into tech/IT fields, of which most jobs are in big cities with dense traffic, high insurance, bad roads, constant construction, and the most aggressive drivers on the planet. That's the group of people those kind of articles hone in on to push a sensational narrative. For them, driving is too much of a hassle so public transportation or finding a job to work from home becomes more appealing.

Back