Sometimes I hate the Internet - A "Professional" Consumer Needs Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

J

Hi,

For your high torque application, you could
do much worse than Delvac 1 5w-40.

cheers.gif

Jae

tbrog,
With our weather here in Arkansas,(Russellville), I would use the 10W30 Schaeffer's Series 7000. That is what I use in both my gas engines, and I use the 15W40 in both diesel trucks. I buy over $250 on an order so the price is great. E-mail me if you need some. I can order any time as I need trans fluid and grease etc.

[ April 16, 2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Gone are the days when I could just take my truck down to the local "garage", get my 6 qts. of whatever and get that bright orange fram filter every 3K and think I was taking care of my truck. Now I have to spend countless hours researching the ideal oil and filter combo for my specific vehicle and application.

I have a new 2003 Chevy 2500HD w/ the 6.0L engine. I found this website about 2 years ago when it was nothing like it is now. Back then I spent a ton of time trying to find the best oil and filter for my previous truck. I ended up using Schaffers 700 5W-30 and the Mobil 1 filter.

I had planned on using the same in my new truck (my previous truck had the same engine). However, I made the mistake of visiting this website again just to make sure nothing had changed. Well, it seems everything has. Not much mention of Schaffer's anymore. Is that because they don't sponsor the board anymore or something? I'm just curious if I should keep using the Schaffer's and the Mobil filter. I'll be changing my oil every 3 to 4k anyway. I'm too anal retentive to push that out any longer.

Also, do I have to use 5W-30? Would another weight be preferrable even though GM suggests 5W-30? I've read about the Mobil 1 oil being thinner than others. That was one of the other oils I've been considering. Also, I saw some flack about those expensive Mobil filters. Is there something newer and better out now? Things change so quickly.

My friends make fun of me for stuff like this. They call me the professional consumer. I research stuff too much. Ignorance is bliss, and I torture myself over silly things like what type of oil to use in my truck. Seems ridiculous, but I'm a sucker for this kinda stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You could do a lot worse than to stick with BobZoil(Schaeffer), I've gotten great analysis results in my car with it. It's still popular here, just that the powers-that-be at the company have a very myopic world view. The oil is just as good as ever.

The filter? Mobil 1 is good, but it isn't magic. If it was my truck, I'd probably go with an AC-Delco, Wix, Hastings, or Baldwin. JMO.

Even though Schaeffer oil isn't mentioned as often here anymore, it's still an excellent oil! I'd put it ahead of Mobil 1 for sure. It's the only blend out there which can run head to head with the top full synthetics out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back