Sometimes Hoarding Car Parts is a Plus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a bit of a Jeep run this weekend. Probably going to be about 150 miles of touring the fall leaves. Last night I decided to check on my front driveshaft - last time I drove it, the Jeep felt like it was getting front driveline vibrations (in addition to the rear :S )

The U Joints are new, Cardan centering ball was recently regreased so I wasn't thinking anything would be wrong. Either way, felt like I should check.

Rolled under the Jeep (nice thing about a lifted Jeep!) and go to wiggle the shaft. Lots of play in it.

Turns out the slip yoke had failed. Pulled the driveshaft out to assess the situation. It would wiggle side to side and it seemed that the splines were wore out and there was a bit of slop (like transmitting power) in it as well.

At this point, I decided to go into the bathroom. That's where I keep my spare driveshafts and axleshafts. Started to take a look at my spare driveshafts and found one that was the correct length.

Took me a while, but I pressed the bad one apart, used the cardan yoke and the new u joints, put them on the other driveshaft and we're back in business!

So being a parts hoarder and keeping stuff in your bathroom is not a bad thing!

...but probably why I'm single.

Yeah, it might explain the single-ness!

OTOH most of the women I know have piles of yarn, fabric materials or the like piled up in places around the house. So I'm not convinced it's much different.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

At this point, I decided to go into the bathroom.

Very interesting. Lol.

*I have a few Jeep parts laying around, but I have gotten more use out of my spare push mower parts.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Parts have saved my bacon quite a bit.

I junked a cutlass ciera and saved the radiator, battery, and alternator, but nothing else. Within six months my BIL used all three parts on his buick century.

I had a saturn spindle with brake stuff still on it and a "friend" showed up Friday night with a seized caliper and he was going to drive up the Mt Washington Auto Road the following day. I hooked him up. He'd been putting off the service but all the hairpin switchbacks finally lit a fire under his butt.

I saved a saturn transmission and while I haven't yet needed it I took a reverse light switch and coil pack that were attached. These parts alone are expensive through normal channels.

I saved a pair of saturn tail lights for 5+ years and saw a saturn parked down the street with a broken tail light. Good Samaritan that I am, I taped a note to my spare light (you look like you need this) and left it on their roof. Saw the same car visiting again months later with a fixed light! Then, irony of ironies, I got a junker saturn with busted light, the same one I gave away. Never again!
laugh.gif

I decided to go into the bathroom. That's where I keep my spare driveshafts and axleshafts.

I'm thinking being single will be a long time proposition.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I decided to go into the bathroom. That's where I keep my spare driveshafts and axleshafts.

hahahahahaha.
Add in the engine block in the bathtub and you've got a perfect storm.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger

hahahahahaha.
Add in the engine block in the bathtub and you've got a perfect storm.

I have a stack of tires in the living room. That counts, right?

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I thought I was bad for keeping a can of Gojo hand cleaner on the sink!

Dawn dish soap in the bathroom for greasy cleanup. Cheap stuff for dishes.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
lol, nothing says I love more than drive shafts in the bathroom.

Being prepared. I will never get caught in a situation where I do not have a driveshaft and need a driveshaft!

Rolled under the Jeep (nice thing about a lifted Jeep!) and go to wiggle the shaft. Lots of play in it.

Under the car? dude, TMI!

Being prepared. I will never get caught in a situation where I do not have a driveshaft and need a driveshaft!

OK, I wasn't sure before, but now I am 100% certain that there is no girlfriend in your future.
wink.gif
HAHA JK

I used to hoard parts too when I had a beater off road truck. Wish I still had my old shop and place to store stuff.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

Under the car? dude, TMI!

Hahaha. I literally LOL'd.

I have to put this back in. It's still sitting on the floor.

OK, I wasn't sure before, but now I am 100% certain that there is no girlfriend in your future.
wink.gif
HAHA JK

I used to hoard parts too when I had a beater off road truck. Wish I still had my old shop and place to store stuff.

That's part of the reason I am single now haha. No one likes my tires or driveshafts
frown.gif

My whole apartment is a mancave.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Are you the one that got your vehicle vandalized at an apartment complex ?

Yup. But that was everyone in my parking lot. Tires slashed.

My next step is to get Dawn in the bathroom for washing hands. Couple years ago I convinced the wife that we should stop filling the dispenser next to the kitchen sink with the handwash that does nothing and instead use Dawn. Afterwards she agreed with me that it was a vastly better soap for washing hands.

Only one issue at the moment: when I mounted tires last month I used the same Dawn as tire lube, so now whenever I wash my hands in the sink I look around me to see if there is a tire lurking behind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back