Something you don’t hear about every day. A bear strike

My daughter lives in King Cove, AK. on the Aleutian island chain. The town only really exists because of a salmon cannery. So this week a mother bear led her three almost grown cubs into the town. They rummaged around the cannery in the night. So what does some idiot do? He grabs his cell phone and runs after them, videoing, getting within feet of them.

I saw the video, the idiot almost became bear food. Never mess with a bear, and never, ever, mess with a momma bear with cubs.

My daughter lives in King Cove, AK. on the Aleutian island chain. The town only really exists because of a salmon cannery. So this week a mother bear led her three almost grown cubs into the town. They rummaged around the cannery in the night. So what does some idiot do? He grabs his cell phone and runs after them, videoing, getting within feet of them.

I saw the video, the idiot almost became bear food. Never mess with a bear, and never, ever, mess with a momma bear with cubs.

Seems like common sense to most people....but some just gotta have the best facebooklive video of the day.

Don't take your eyes off the Bear...

RussianBear1.JPG

USN nearly lost an F-14 to a deer many years ago.

The airplane hit a small buck at night. The deer was killed instantly, but in the process, took out a hard metal hydraulic line on the left main landing gear.

Pilot didn’t see or hear the deer strike.

Tower personnel saw the remains of the deer on the runway. Advised the squadron of what they found.

Squadron recalled the airplane, which had an inflight hydraulic failure as the fluid bled out. The Combined Hydraulic system fluid pressure went to zero. Combined system actuated landing gear, brakes and nose wheel steering. Airplane landed with an arrested landing.

Here is where the student pilot, and his instructor RIO made a mistake. After landing, the hydraulic pressure returned to normal. This is because landing gear extension changed the amount of fluid available for the system. The pump was able to re-pressurize the system with a little bit of extra fluid that came from extending the landing gear.

They decided to taxi the airplane back to parking. On their way there, the brakes and nose wheel steering failed, leaving the pilot unable to stop the aircraft and unable to steer it.

It ran into a parked F-14.

The damage to repair both airplanes was millions of dollars...

All from one little deer that happened to hit just the right place on the airplane.

There was a lot of discussion at the time on whether or not it was worth the money to repair the airplane

Yeah, i actually looked for it. They must have cleaned that engine pretty quickly.

There were some pics out there but they got scrubbed quickly. Too many squeamish people I guess.

Actually this could have been much worse. What if that bear had collided with the nose gear?

I remember when you mentioned this earlier. Weren't you asking about what kind of car to get for her?

But as to bears, it depends. A brown bear is not to be messed with, but an American black bear will tend to be timid. I've been around one with cubs and it didn't really seem like it wanted anything except to calmly walk away from me.

USN nearly lost an F-14 to a deer many years ago.

The airplane hit a small buck at night. The deer was killed instantly, but in the process, took out a hard metal hydraulic line on the left main landing gear.

Pilot didn’t see or hear the deer strike.

Tower personnel saw the remains of the deer on the runway. Advised the squadron of what they found.

Squadron recalled the airplane, which had an inflight hydraulic failure as the fluid bled out. The Combined Hydraulic system fluid pressure went to zero. Combined system actuated landing gear, brakes and nose wheel steering. Airplane landed with an arrested landing.

Here is where the student pilot, and his instructor RIO made a mistake. After landing, the hydraulic pressure returned to normal. This is because landing gear extension changed the amount of fluid available for the system. The pump was able to re-pressurize the system with a little bit of extra fluid that came from extending the landing gear.

They decided to taxi the airplane back to parking. On their way there, the brakes and nose wheel steering failed, leaving the pilot unable to stop the aircraft and unable to steer it.

It ran into a parked F-14.

The damage to repair both airplanes was millions of dollars...

All from one little deer that happened to hit just the right place on the airplane.

There was a lot of discussion at the time on whether or not it was worth the money to repair the airplane
My friend nailed one with MiG29 in Serbia. Tower had to inform him that he hit deer. Since Russian airplanes have really stout landing gear, there was not much damage and he just taxied back on his own.

Back