Something to think about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of plunking down the money for the 40,000 tapes and the many recorders that she had to buy to record all these tapes, she should have saved her money and just given it to her son who is now panhandling for money.

An interesting project. She does have a point. There have been times when I've seen something in the news and thought "WOW, something will come of that" and it quietly disappears. Or other times where I saw something peculiar that didn't make sense and then decades later, the truth comes out, and I understand. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but the stories of the world can be complex and interwoven.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Those who feel guilty for the sins of the forefathers will pay and they know it.
I wouldn't give her a nickel.

Can you explain to me how you make the leap from a request for a donation to digitize an extensive news video library, to somehow feeling guilty about the sins of forefathers? I'd be interested to know the thought process that gets you there.

And by the way, the donation goes to the archive and is being requested by her son. Since she passed away in 2012, you most certainly never have to fret over giving "her" a nickel.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Instead of plunking down the money for the 40,000 tapes and the many recorders that she had to buy to record all these tapes, she should have saved her money and just given it to her son who is now panhandling for money.

The actual monetary donation goes to the Internet Archive where her collection was donated by her family. Her son simply penned the letter requesting donations for the archive-exactly the sort of thing that most non-profit organizations do.

I'm curious how you consider that "panhandling"?

Those who feel guilty for the sins of the forefathers will pay and they know it.

You must have read the first sentence or saw it was a black woman and thought her son is asking for donations. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...
wink.gif

Read the entire thing! Some lady videotaped CNN 24 hours a day for 30 years straight and the internet archive is trying to get donations to digitize and make the video publicly available online. Seems like a worthy cause to me.

I'm not talking her down but I have to say it was a major waste of a life. She should have done other things to help her cause out. I also can't imagine all those tapes are viewable. Those things have a horrible shelf life.

It's a website asking for donations to run, just like Wikipedia or BITOG do. These sites cost money to host so I don't quite understand the point of this thread and some of the posts. If you're not interested in that site, don't donate.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

You must have read the first sentence or saw it was a black woman and thought her son is asking for donations. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...
wink.gif

Read the entire thing! Some lady videotaped CNN 24 hours a day for 30 years straight and the internet archive is trying to get donations to digitize and make the video publicly available online. Seems like a worthy cause to me.

Thats exactly right, whenever i see something like this i just turn off.
Quote:
Dear Patron,

My mother didn’t go to college. Black women didn’t go to university in the late 40s. Instead, she was directed to library school. She became a feminist and an activist.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Quote:
When she died, we found 192 Macintosh computers. And 40,000 videocassettes.

Why 192 Macs?

Harddrives filled with scanned stuff...?

I'm having a hard time thinking of a less worthy cause, but maybe that's just me.

Nothing to do with politics or any of that. It's just analogous to me saving 30 years of gum wrappers and wanting donations to have them scanned and cataloged.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Some lady videotaped CNN 24 hours a day for 30 years straight and the internet archive is trying to get donations to digitize and make the video publicly available online. Seems like a worthy cause to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back