Something to think about with EVs...Total and Hidden Expenses

Bro you have to factor in the family networth and the location of the insured. The same Prius may only cost $700 a year to insure in Alabama but $2000 to insure in Silicon Valley (where even $20/hr can't hire undocumented workers at Home Depot parking lots). Those Teslas are probably insured with maximum insurance coverage + umbrella on top of that.
Yeah, obviously ... but she made a statement that is was the "average" cost of insurance ... not what it would cost in the most expensive place in the USA with the most insurance coverage possible.

Yeah, obviously ... but she made a statement that is was the "average" cost of insurance ... not what it would cost in the most expensive place in the USA with the most insurance coverage possible.
Where do you think the "average" Tesla owner lives vs the "average" American lives?

Where do you think the "average" Tesla owner lives vs the "average" American lives?
Obviously she needs to stipulate how she came up with that "average insurance cost" ... or stipulate that only people in CA are allowed to watch her videos. 😄

I’m still waiting for an EV to pencil out for me. Tesla keeps jumping prices even though they have a massive profit margin. A model 3 performance is now $63k, the regular dual motor not much less. Even if it magically charged itself for free from Elon Musk tweets alone it would still cost a fortune compared to my 22 year old gas guzzling Escalade. At least with the warmer weather it seems i can get 13 mpg, 40 cents a mile for fuel. About 10x the cost of charging an EV and i am still vastly ahead financially. The escalade performs great still, any repairs are cheap and easy. If your not driving a lot the EV makes no sense. We don’t have 22 year old EVs to compare longevity with but im guessing it will be ugly.

Lets not get into what i think will be the next big bubble / inflation point on the horizon. Electrical cost per KW/h i expect to go up a large amount over the next 5 years.

I’m still waiting for an EV to pencil out for me. Tesla keeps jumping prices even though they have a massive profit margin. A model 3 performance is now $63k, the regular dual motor not much less. Even if it magically charged itself for free from Elon Musk tweets alone it would still cost a fortune compared to my 22 year old gas guzzling Escalade. At least with the warmer weather it seems i can get 13 mpg, 40 cents a mile for fuel. About 10x the cost of charging an EV and i am still vastly ahead financially. The escalade performs great still, any repairs are cheap and easy. If your not driving a lot the EV makes no sense. We don’t have 22 year old EVs to compare longevity with but im guessing it will be ugly.

Lets not get into what i think will be the next big bubble / inflation point on the horizon. Electrical cost per KW/h i expect to go up a large amount over the next 5 years.
Exactly. Teslas are expensive, no doubt. After 3.5 years, we love our Model 3. Having said that, I still consider it a toy; just like a Porsche, Lexus, Vette, Benz, BMW, Caddy, Bro-Dozer, you name it. Compare any new car to a 22 year old car will give you the same result.

If you gotta buy new, a Civic/Corolla purchase will do better than just about anything else for pure economy. Prius maybe? Anyone who buys a Tesla for economy, well they've got another guess coming.
I 100% agree with you on electrical cost; heck in CA electricity is filthy expensive. That's why I installed solar over 4 years ago. Love my solar... The solar was smart; the $60 large for the Tesla could have been spent much more wisely.

Tesla's recent price increase (yet another one) is based upon anticipated increases in raw materials and component parts that will occur before the vehicles are delivered, which could be anywhere from 6 to 12 months. Elon just wants to maintain the margins that his cars have been selling for for the last couple of years. Could he absorb the cost increases and not raise the price of the Tesla's ? Sure.
But why should/would he. He is selling every car he can produce.

Where I disagree with his business plan is not putting lot of resources towards producing a model that could sell in the $30k price range. He may have to give up some margin there but even if he was only making 18% instead of 28% he'd still be outperforming his competition by around 10%. Or more.

In addition, provided that he could make enough of them and fast enough, he would absolutely crush the competition regarding sales numbers and dominate the EV economy price class.

I do agree with Mr. Keryk though that as currently priced, all Tesla models are not being sold as commodity items or purely for the economy of not having to buy $6.00+++ a gallon gas. The people that are buying them are doing so because they can afford them. And they want one. Same reason I bought a Jaguar F Type R and not a Miata or Toyota GR86.
If Tesla EV's didn't exist those same customers would be buying $50- $60K or higher priced BMW's. Lexus's, Audi's and other cars in that "luxury" class.

You are not the typical buyer of any vehicle. If you are only paying a couple hundred a year on fuel nobody would design a car to sell to you.
My Volt leaving my insurance and being replaced by a newer stick shift saved $1200 a year insurance + registration/ taxes, same company, same policy

That is not insignificant

Electrical cost per KW/h i expect to go up a large amount over the next 5 years.
Our utilities are pushing for a near 100% increase. That doesn't include distribution or whatever else is on the bill, so it's not like the bill will double--but they are looking for a steep increase all the same.

Makes me wonder if I shouldn't be putting together some solar & battery setup for home. Before prices on those items go up too...

My Volt leaving my insurance and being replaced by a newer stick shift saved $1200 a year insurance + registration/ taxes, same company, same policy

That is not insignificant
You are comparing apples and oranges, different cars. I don't believe Volt has a 1200 premium over a similar car just because of reason. Tesla I can believe it. What stick shift car is it?

Tesla is bad because the company screw up on parts supply and certified repair facility. This is why you should use their subsidized insurance instead. If Tesla build a gas car it would be just as messed up.

It’s not just that teslas are very expensive, its the lack of depreciation and eventual battery pack expense that limits the lifespan. They really should be so much cheaper used than they have gone for in the past several years. I guess that makes the case for buying a new one but again its a lot of money for what is just a small car of small slightly crossovery car.

Hmmm ... lets see,
Chevy Traverse with tow package. Paid 21,000 in 2020 for a 2017 with 26,000 miles.
Gas, $4 or less a gallon (currently $3.99 at Costco. At times during ownership of this vehicle I paid $1.30 a gallon as an ultimate low.
Electric anywhere from 5.5 cents kWh to $12 kWh (peak average)

The OP is correct, the Tesla brand is a luxury brand for those who like the idea of electric. The price is too high for me and non of them can perform the tasks my Chevy SUV does. Its like any other vehicle, we buy what fits our budget and the way the vehicle will be used.
The equal for my Chevy would be a BMW X5 as far as the duties it performs. Yeah, my son has one. Go figure.

Now if you excuse me I have to get ready for my second trip to Florida this month to look at homes, less than a 5 hour trip but wont have to worry about charging my vehicle and if I was staying local, the Chevy would be towing our boat to the local boat ramp. Meanwhile on road trips, its truly amazing how comfortable and QUIET running 80 MPH down the interstate for a well price vehicle.

Again, specific uses for all of us. On the other hand, if there was a $30,000 (max) priced electric it might be perfect for my wife and local driving, something along the lines of a Mazda CX5, Most likely though, will never be in my lifetime electric as I always buy vehicles 2 to 3 years old low mileage.

Sheraton in Florida does offer charging stations the cars park and charge overnight, the spots are always full, I wonder what happens if more than 3 need to charge? Yeah, stress

Everyone keeps calling Tesla a luxury car, i am not so convinced. Maybe at the low volume S and X level, and a model 3 Performance has that sports car aspect, but looking at the entry level? Analyze it ignoring the fuel source, just car for car. RWD model 3 is a plain, small car. Something like Acura integra is much more luxurious for a lot less.

Tesla has amazing margins but is choosing to price people even further out of their cars.

If the slowdown in new sales (that ford and honda have seen month over month) continues; Tesla could be shooting their own demand in the foot and be discounting heavily by about next year. Just my guess. Las Vegas area repo lots are getting full of defaulted late model cars to auction.

Elon had it right when he sold the S for $69k, pre refresh. That was a nice car at a fair price. Now you gotta pay like 100k for the S?! Its absurd.

Please turn up your A/C to 78 or above, wait to do your laundry and dishes, and use minimal lighting during the day to help offset the extreme load on the electrical grid. Oh, and go out and buy an electric car.
Exactly! And a big no thanks for me.

If the Tv tells me EV will save the Earth who am I to not believe the Tv .

Last edited:
Replacing an existing rig for the sake of economy almost never pencils out regardless of the names on the paper.

It's more of a question of if you are already buying a new vehicle (car or SUV) which way are you going to go.

Back