Something to be happy about - 38.4 MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last 5 tankfulls = 38.4MPG on the old Saturn.
It's rated at 35MPG. Some city driving, lots of highway at 70+MPH. M1 5w-30SM in the crankase.

BP/Amoco 93 octane shows a full 2MPG difference. Even 1 tank that tickled 40MPG! I've kept fuel records for the past 18months. Not bad for a car with 150K. X

This isn't a thread with great insight to oil. Sorry. Just a happy FP and LC customer.
smile.gif

fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Last 5 tankfulls = 38.4MPG on the old Saturn.
It's rated at 35MPG. Some city driving, lots of highway at 70+MPH. M1 5w-30SM in the crankase.

BP/Amoco 93 octane shows a full 2MPG difference. Even 1 tank that tickled 40MPG! I've kept fuel records for the past 18months. Not bad for a car with 150K. X

This isn't a thread with great insight to oil. Sorry. Just a happy FP and LC customer.
smile.gif

fruit.gif

**** thats a keeper. Its going to be interesting when i move to Texas one month from now comming from Cali to see what kind of gas milage i get when i tow.

I've gotten a significant jump in mpg that coincided with using FP and LC, too. In two cars and one motorcycle. Can't say I really expected it, I was doing it just for cleanliness of the systems. But, something is really working...could be that it is a bit warmer now, although it never really gets very cold here. Won't know until next winter!

My girlfriend normally gets between 37 and 40 mpg on her Saturn SL. It has 100k miles and the auto trans. She only uses 87 octane gas with no additives and drives it gently. I think the SL was a great design.

TRDUSA2002 - You will like Texas gas - no alcohol and cheaper than anywhere else.
More power and mileage are yours in the future!

Man-O-man! Just got 51.xx mpg on my Vulcan. Best I'd ever gotten before was 45...the first time I'd run FP. Usually got just over 40, down to upper 30's if I ran it hard. I haven't changed anything other than FP in the tank and a little LC in the sump. Maybe I had a bigger tailwind than I thought! Anyway, I carry a little bottle of FP along with me so I can add it every time I fill up.

"TRDUSA2002 - You will like Texas gas - no alcohol and cheaper than anywhere else.
More power and mileage are yours in the future!"

Just make sure your air conditioner is in top shape!

Even with the recent hail damage it sustained it looks better than 60% of the cars around here. If you are used to your cars looking nearly new though I could see where it would be annoying.

That said I'd still be tempted to keep the car and put all the money the insurance gave to repair it into... a lifetime supply of GC. Then just run the SL as a beater/commuter until it will no longer roll.

Do you mind my asking what value they are assigning to the car?

quote:

BP/Amoco 93 octane shows a full 2MPG difference.

Any idea why it got better gas mileage with higher octane ??
dunno.gif

My wife's Honda also gets 38 MPG on the highway with the A/C blasting doing 75 miles per hour.

maybe if he drives with a light foot, at low rpms, that the car is able to give full timing at lower rpms with 93 vs 87 preventing downshifts and higher rpms. My camaro 6-speed is like that with 93 vs 87 octane.
Does saturn have a GM engine?
I had a cobalt for a rental which got 34mpg, my altima with a 4-cyl gets 26mpg at best
frown.gif

The old Saturns have Saturn-only 1.9L 4 cyl's. The 99-'02 models had the best efficiency of the S-series cars. The new Saturn Ion models have the GM 2.2L ecotech engine.

I generally don't stomp on the throttle, but do run 70+ on the highway.

I read somewhere in the fuel section here that BP/Amoco have their own supply/refining capacity for their 93 octane product. Whereas almost all other gas comes from the same tanks. So I gave it a shot. What's $2.00 per tankfull (upcharge for 93 octane) when I'm already spending $27.00 for regular unleaded??

The GM 2.2L Ecotec is an awesome engine. You've probably seen me talk about it before. I've got the Sunfire (Pepped up Saturn) and I constantly get 36MPG on my way to work @ 70mph. I'd get better if I wasn't going up and down mountains.

I know my car has a "knock" sensor - not sure about the Saturn but both being GM I'd say probably. I've noticed a +2-3 MPG difference with 91 octane vs 87. Really noticable when going up those mountains.

I'd keep that car if you don't have anything getting near the same MPG. With gas prices the way they are - I'd bet you could find a few SUV owners wanting to buy that thing from you.

Well, my Nissan Frontier with the 2.4L 4-banger just jumped 3.4 mpg on one tank of gas (from 23.9 to 27.3). Only difference? Changed from Pilot gas to SUNOCO and put in 4 ozs. of Acetone with the 14 gal fill-up. That is almost a 15% increase!

fruit.gif

Update, Saabaroo 2.5 manual. Had one 20 mile trip, rest were in town. 27.93 mpg. Really good for the conditions. Still don't know if it's the FP or what. Have the big long cruise-control trip coming up next week...I'll know more if it is the engine, or my driving technique after that trip. If it's the engine, I still won't know if it is temperature, FP, gas quality, PP in the crankcase, or some combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back