Someone Please Save My Sanity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second post! Woo-hoo!
I WANT to settle on one oil! I am not interested in switching back and forth between viscosities. I currently have 2 Volvos in the stable. My wife's '99 V70 XC and my '05 S80. Both cars have a 2.5T turbo engine. Acceptable viscosities are 5w30, 10w30 and 5w40. Her older car "recommends" 10w30, and mine "recommends" 5w30, both with 7500 OCIs. The weather here in Savannah is moderate, rarely freezing in the winter but the summers can get quite hot. Am I better off using a 10w30 year-round since our winters are fairly mild and the oil will stand up to the winter heat, or can the 5w30 handle the heat of the summer just as well?
As far as oils, she is approx. 6000 miles into a 15,000 mile OCI with EP 10w30. Normally I don't let it go that long but I'm curious to do a UOA. After that I'm switching her to Maxlife Synthetic with 7500 OCIs. I realized I enjoy changing oil too much to wait 15,000 miles. I'm running SynPower, but plan on switching to QS HP after that's finished.
Or what if I ditch both 30s and go with M1 0w40? I like that it's A3 rated, but will I take a noticeable hit in fuel economy?

M1 0W-40 for both, year 'round. It'll handle all conditions you can throw at it, and is realtively easy to get. I don't think it will affect economy at all - usually shears slightly to a high-30 weight anyway.

a '99 XC would have the 2.4L, but you have a lot of good oils to choose from.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
M1 0W-40 for both, year 'round. It'll handle all conditions you can throw at it, and is relatively easy to get. I don't think it will affect economy at all - usually shears slightly to a high-30 weight anyway.

+1

Yes you do need to settle with one oil. I never thought oil swapping was a good thing IMO. The M1 EP line are great oils as well as others. Also I did a UOA on the M1 5-30 EP at 9200 miles and It had tons of life left in it.

I always used GC in my MIL's Beetle when I did oil changes for her, but it always irked me to buy 5 quart-bottles instead of a gallon or 5-quart jug from WalMart. I was going to switch the Beetle over to M1 0w40 for that reason, but she got rid of the VW.
I really appreciate all the advice. I would also like to mention that we're planning a cross-country trip this summer, if that affects anyone's opinion.

0w40 all night long...
thumbsup2.gif

what is the appeal of 0wXX oils and why do they only seem to be used in "exotic" cars like german, or swedish?

why are they not used in American cars if they are better than 5w30 or 10w30??? Oddly enough though my dad's SRT-8 Jeep takes M1 0w40 from the factory.

I assume they are coveted because they flow good in colder weather yet offer good protection in hotter conditions?

WHY should I like these better than a full-syn 10w30?

I'm a GC guy and prefer it over M1 products, but I'm sure M1 0W-40 will be fine for your needs. It meets all the Volvo certs, you can extend the OCI to your liking and you can buy the stuff at Walmart.

I think Shell Rotella T 5W40 would work good too. Plus it would be cheaper.

Last edited:
I don't think that a volvo turbo is an ideal candidate for a 15,000 mile OCI, even with Mobil 1 EP, unless it's 90% highway.

My 2 cents,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back