Somebody should build an OBD II based Oil Life Indicator!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a few OBD II based products out there that give real-time data readouts to the driver. You just plug them into your obd II port.

Why couldn't somebody make an Oil Life Indicator like on the Honda's or the GM's, just figure out their algorithyms....etc. It could plug into your OBDII port, monitor you fuel used, engine temp, rpm's, speed, trip distance, ambient temp, and factor in whether you're using dino/synth and then spit out a Oil Life % Left etc.

That's something I would buy if you could mess with the variables after doing UOA's. I bet this wouldn't be too hard to do for a techie....

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

OBD II only read common infos, and each engine wear out the oil differently and finding it out will take a lot more than rpm/vacuum/load/temperature.

I am sure it is much easier to just build a sensor based OLM than deciphering every engine/car combo in the world.

GM already did--and it works very well. Drivers who run the snot out of their cars (like at the race track) may only get 300 mles on an oil change, while adult driven cars on long trips can get 15K+ miles per change.

The algorithm takes cold starts, idling, engine and oil temperatures, and total number of revolutions (and I would bet some other things) into account.

I'd love to see somebody build this. You could "tune" it yourself using UOA until you came out with an OCI algorythm for your car that was perfect!

Couldn't you start out with the formula that I've seen posted here for OCI...it took into account Displacement/horsepower/sump capacity/synth vs. dino.... You'd have to input this info to start.

Then you could go from that OCI and start using OBD II to subtract mileage from the oci based on for short trips, engine temp, ambient temp etc?

I suspect that this is what most OLM systems do. The engine/car combo is covered in the first step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back