Some Test Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my duties in my new job position, is to inspect patrol cars that have been turned in. I go over the usual, lights, siren, fluids, etc. Final is test drive. Take this 2011 CVPI, immaculate condition out for a spin and hear some noise in the rear. Car only has 74K on the odometer.

Put it on the lift and see that the passenger side of the rear axle is leaking, and proceed to investigate further.

First pic, after opening the diff case and allowing the axle to come out.

All that glitters is not gold. This had been fixed 8K ago, by one of our preferred shops.

Here is a view of the passenger side axle.

The bearing that was installed earlier was a cheap fix, offset bearing that allowed it to ride on a different spot on the shaft.

Here is the driver side, with OE bearing.

Sorry for poor photography.

Love the simplicity of the CVPI 8.8 open diff. 3.27 gears. Some of the spider gears were already pulled in this picture.

Boss said "fix it", we need to keep some of the CVPI's in service for a few more years. Ordered new bearings and seals from the dealer, Parking brake shoes from AZ (we have a corporate account with them), and had an axle from a crashed 2011 out back.

The worst part is the other shop used Loctite red on the fill plug for the diff. Took a bit of muscle to get it open. About 1/8 inch of metal glitter on the plug too.

That was a fun "test" for a rookie mechanic.... All good now.

Dave

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I thought the CVPI's had 4 wheel disc brakes, I guess I thought wrong.

CVPIs have 4 wheel disc brakes. Those are the parking brakes.

Dave

One of our cars had that problem.. until a very special young man crashed it. Oh well, it had 105K on the ODO when it was totaled! We have a few CVPI's upwards of 140-160K miles now and they are REALLY worn out. So worn out that nearly every nut, bolt, and bearing squeaks and squeals at every turn.

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I thought the CVPI's had 4 wheel disc brakes, I guess I thought wrong.

CVPIs have 4 wheel disc brakes. Those are the parking brakes.

Dave
Ahhh, ok, makes sense now!

I agree with the simplicity comment. I service crown vic police cars at work and the rest axles are a breeze. Although to work on the parking brake components you have to pull the axles....it makes it a lot easier anyway lol.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Although to work on the parking brake components you have to pull the axles....it makes it a lot easier anyway lol.
A lot people say this, but I don't know why. My ex's Marauder had no parking brakes at all (don't ask) and I bought new shoes and hardware and re-installed everything without touching the axles. I didn't think it was especially difficult, although I suppose it would have been easier with them out, but taking the axles out and back in is a project in itself that's definitely not worth it just to do the parking brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back