some screen shots from my new LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The TV is a Samsung LN40A550. (40")

here are some screen shots (all OTA HD) taken today;
Please note the following before looking at them:

1) These are all OTA, HD channels, received with a pair of $10.00 amplified rabbit ears, from about 45 miles from the station.
I will be testing my better Zenith Silver sensor antenna tonight
2) Taken with a rather old 3.2 mp digi cam that makes pics redder/darker than the reality. (faces) camera zoom used; no flash except on 1st pic (forgot to turn flash off); taken at about 2 pm. (SO THESE ARE NOT IN TOTAL DARKNESS, which would've made them even more "poppy" I think)
3) I have NOT adjusted colors/calibrated AT ALL. Just turned down the contrast from 95 to 65 or something, and otherwise out of the box settings on standard I think.
4) reality: pics looks sharper and crisper. Digi Cam reduces the pop a bit. (but again, only thing I changed was contrast!!!)
6) LAST PIC: face(s) show FAR MORE DETAIL in reality: facial hair, skin folds and pimples etc...camera steals most of it somehow.
8) AGAIN: reality is not so red/dark.

ss-tv002.jpg

ss-tv005.jpg

ss-tv008.jpg

ss-tv015.jpg

ss-tv013.jpg

ss-tv017.jpg

ss-tv023.jpg

ss-tv021.jpg

ss-tv022.jpg

ss-tv025.jpg

I am pretty happy. but have a lot more tweaking to do.

Looks real good.

I had a $50 radio shack HD antenna at the last place I lived. Hooked to a regular TV, I was impressed with the reception.

I have cable with a 22 inch HD LCD now. It's a mini Samsung......

Last edited:
Very nice. I think you will be happy with the Samsung. We have the LN4053H (40"). 2007 model. I tried the prof calibration settings that someone posted on avsforum.com, but ended up using my own settings.

I would turn the DNie off. I use standard/movie mode and keep contrast around 95, brightness 43, color 50, back light 6-7. Black light low and sharpness around 0-10.

Very nice!

Still as nice as well as your new TV looks, it still can not make the Acura's look good.. (They are UGLY)
37.gif

And the new truck looks goofy.
33.gif

The wife wants to get a LCD TV and hang it on the wall. We have a 12 year old 36"CRT that still is plugging away.

I'll stay with it until it dies. Then IF the cost to repair is too high, then a new TV.

WOW. All off the air samples too!
shocked2.gif

Looks real nice there! You earned it.

Enjoy, Bill

Thanks for the compliments...

yeah I do feel a bit guilty still :) but a lot less...I know we'll always have best intentions and do our best so that calms me...

yeah the Acuras are f-ugly; wife's friend just got a TL I think and she showed it off the other day; I felt bad saying it's ugly and overpriced so I just said " niiiiice".
frown.gif

The truck IS weird looking...

The greatest thing compared to the 20" CRT tv we were watching is: now we can see wide screen movies without huge black bars on top and bottom...it's FULLY there now.

Our neighbor had a problem prone 12" tiny TV; we gave our "old" 20" Toshiba CRT TV to her :) she's very happy; it's a flat screen and must seem huge to her now :)

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
The greatest thing compared to the 20" CRT tv we were watching is: now we can see wide screen movies without huge black bars on top and bottom...it's FULLY there now.

The whole image was there before, too. I hope you have no decided to watch everything, regardless of the intended aspect ratio, stretched to fit the 16:9 screen. Everybody would have shoulders like Arnold and a misshapen head.
wink.gif

Nice...

I've had a LNT4665 for about a year-and-a-half now, the extra screen real estate over the old 32" Trinitron is amazing. I'm waiting for delivery of the 52" version of your 40". I bought it at Fry's 2 weekends ago when they bottomed out at $1299!

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I hope you have no decided to watch everything, regardless of the intended aspect ratio, stretched to fit the 16:9 screen. Everybody would have shoulders like Arnold and a misshapen head.
wink.gif

Oh no; I hate that. I will never do that.
I watch stuff in their INTENDED, undistorted format.

97tbird, that is impressive.. Thanks for the pics.

I'm with Bill in Utah. I have a 36" Sharp that I inherited from my dad. It's at least 10 years old. Probably last another 10 years. A new TV is not in our budget.

Good god!!

The quality of the image of your tv, from your cam, to your computer, to my computer, to my screen looks 10x better than my TV!!!

I will have to upgrade soon!!!!

One thing I want to say: Jim Brown looks really old in High Def.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: moribundman
I hope you have no decided to watch everything, regardless of the intended aspect ratio, stretched to fit the 16:9 screen. Everybody would have shoulders like Arnold and a misshapen head.
wink.gif

Oh no; I hate that. I will never do that.
I watch stuff in their INTENDED, undistorted format.

Good God I hate that. Everybody I know that has widescreen TV feels the need to view everything in widescreen. It's almost as bad as when the masses were first introduced to letterboxed DVD's and people would zoom the picture in to cut off the black bars. Or when people were buying 5.1 Surround setups and putting all five speakers on the same wall in a row.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
My Lions are 0-13 on my Sharp...
21.gif

Do you got the Detroit Lions "preseason champs 5-0" T-Shirt?

yep. I've been playing with those settings and I still haven't decided post #995 warm2 and my own modified version of same settings under "normal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back