Some really nasty cold weather starts. YIKES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Northern MN and my Focus 1.0 EcoBoost sits outside. Thankfully a block heater was standard. I've kept it plugged in the last couple nights - also kept it on a battery charger. Supposed to hit -40F/C air temp tonight!

Originally Posted by Chris142
Fortunately it does not get that cold here. Here is my truck.

https://youtu.be/U0hoUzypXhk

That's spring here...
lol.gif

Originally Posted by E365
I'm in Northern MN and my Focus 1.0 EcoBoost sits outside. Thankfully a block heater was standard. I've kept it plugged in the last couple nights - also kept it on a battery charger. Supposed to hit -40F/C air temp tonight!

It's currently reading -21c (-5.8F) on my weather station display but going to get a bit colder still. I have the vans block heater plugged in and have the battery on it's regular charger keeping it full and warm. 0w30 in the crankcase. Easy starting for me.
grin2.gif

Hamilton Weather 1.png

Hamilton Weather 2.png

Last edited:
I'd be careful with charging the battery in-car in this cold. First, not every charger works normally at -20C, if at all. And it is not generally recommend to charge the battery at this temperature either. I have an on-board Noco charger under the hood of my Tahoe, and I disconnected it today, until this thing passes.

Otherwise, my block, oil pan and transmission heaters are the charm. They are on Wi-Fi timer/switch, under the hood, so I turn it on or off from the house, or set on/off time.
Another Wi-Fi timer/switch in cabin controls Little Buddy cabin heater and 12v DC power source that heats the seats.
120v cable is running along the rocker to the back of the truck. Under rear bumper (I back into driveway) it terminates with the camper-style waterproof port for the extension cord. One cord does it all.
Thinking about the water pipe heater wrapped around the catch can and its hoses, however I'm pretty much at the limit of the household outlet as it is. And I have yet to see if the can freezes at all.
My wife's Mazda sleeps through this cold in the garage. She uses my truck and appreciates a toasty interior very much in the morning. Hope the drive train likes the setup as well. And I'm happy as pig to avoid scraping the glass every morning, it is nice and clear.

I love that the crank-start Moskvitch starts on the first try!

I was also surprised to read that a 1st gen Toyota Sienta has a 1NZ-FE, same as US models of yaris and echo. I almost expected a diesel with all the smoke.

I have never experienced something like this before. I started my car at -16F degrees last night. The engine was making a metal slapping sound. I am nervous. Do you guys think any damage could have occurred to the engine?

Its got 5w30 pennzoil platinum in it with like 2000 miles. It's a 1MZ-FE engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Kestas
Automakers qualify all parts and systems that go into a car down to -40°.

Celcius or Fahrenheit?

Same thing in C and F

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
I still have 10w-40 in the Mountaineer... it's -6 and I'm scared to try to start it.

It will be fine. I had straight sae40 in my ramcharger and it started fine @0F in Ohio.

Originally Posted by yugrus
I'd be careful with charging the battery in-car in this cold. First, not every charger works normally at -20C, if at all. And it is not generally recommend to charge the battery at this temperature either. I have an on-board Noco charger under the hood of my Tahoe, and I disconnected it today, until this thing passes.

Otherwise, my block, oil pan and transmission heaters are the charm. They are on Wi-Fi timer/switch, under the hood, so I turn it on or off from the house, or set on/off time.
Another Wi-Fi timer/switch in cabin controls Little Buddy cabin heater and 12v DC power source that heats the seats.
120v cable is running along the rocker to the back of the truck. Under rear bumper (I back into driveway) it terminates with the camper-style waterproof port for the extension cord. One cord does it all.
Thinking about the water pipe heater wrapped around the catch can and its hoses, however I'm pretty much at the limit of the household outlet as it is. And I have yet to see if the can freezes at all.
My wife's Mazda sleeps through this cold in the garage. She uses my truck and appreciates a toasty interior very much in the morning. Hope the drive train likes the setup as well. And I'm happy as pig to avoid scraping the glass every morning, it is nice and clear.

The vehicle is attached to the charger when I get home and the battery is already warm. It's then kept warm with the charger. It's also a smart charger that will adjust to the batteries needs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav

Celcius or Fahrenheit?

Same thing in C and F

*wooosh*

10.gif

Celcius or Fahrenheit?

lol.gif
It's the same at that temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back