Some progress on my 62 Renault

Status
Not open for further replies.
hadn't thought of the PCV. Good idea. Thanks.

And a little more assembly this morning, including the fabrication of a bushing for the engine support.
Engine_support_bushing_fabricated.jpg

Before
Trans_differential_before.jpg

And after
Trans_differential_after.jpg

Rear brakes
Rear_brake_before.jpg

Rear_brake_after.jpg

Engine, transmission and rear suspension are now installed. Just a little difference. The car will be white pearl when finished, so the white comes into the engine compartment.

Engine_right_before.jpg

Power_train_installed.jpg

There is no collector market here. Only pride of workmanship and ownership.

Grated that is also a dying trend.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Widman -
I thought that removing the aged patina ruins the value in the collector market!

[JK!}

If that were the case, was no doubt worth millions(you'll have to decide what currency)... I'll take restored vs heavy patina any day...

Be nice if I were more familiar with old 'naults, one of my uncles bought a new '62 Dauphine but at 12, I wasn't interested... One of the neighbors had a '67? Gordini that looked like a Dauphine, but at 19 I was less than interested(I had a '64 Galaxie with 390 & 4 speed)......

The French Gordini was the better tuned version of the Dauphine (about 6 hp more, if I remember), and used the 4 speed trans that was in the Ondine. The Ondine (mine) was the "luxury" version of the Dauphine that was only produced for 2 or 3 years, mostly prior to launching the Gordini. It differed from the Dauphine in trim, adjustable seats in the second year, 4 speed.

They never used the Dauphine or Ondine names in Argentina, All were called the Gordini, first with the 3 speed and Dauphine engine.

Got some more done this week, taking the seats to my upholsterer so he can have the framework and cushions ready for me to buy the fabric at the end of the month.

Seats_to_upholsterer.jpg

Also got my body guy turned on to cutting out the rust and making replacement panels.

Rocker_cut_off.jpg

Rene_with_new_door_sill.jpg

Rocker_patched.jpg

Still has to do surgery on the rest of the rocker panels.

My brother-in-law will be sending me updates these next two weeks while I'm away. More pics on my site.

The first time was the Peace Corp, back in 68. Married a Bolivian in 70.

After 25 years of working for a multinational company in 20 countries, I decided to "retire" and move here, open a little company to distribute oil and filters. I now have about 50 employees in my little company.

Originally Posted By: widman

After 25 years of working for a multinational company in 20 countries, I decided to "retire" and move here, open a little company to distribute oil and filters. I now have about 50 employees in my little company.

Impressive
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Impressive
thumbsup2.gif

I agree. Good for you Richard!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Impressive
thumbsup2.gif

I agree. Good for you Richard!

+1

Very cool!

Back in Tarija and got some pics at the body shop this morning. He has done a nice job of replacing the left side frame, rockers and sills. The doors actually close now that it is not sagging.
left_front_patched.jpg

Now he has been working on the right side, where he had to replace a long section of the rail, then rocker, and then will be putting the final sills on.
Framing_support.jpg

right_front_in_progress.jpg

Rene_right_front_sill_in_place.jpg

He has been cutting up some Toyotas, Nissans and Mitsubishis for steel. Once the rockers and sills are done, he will cut out the front floor and replace it.

I have a soft spot for the Renaults that were in the family when I grew up.

Nothing as characterful as this one though.

12, 11, 5, 14, 19, 21 and 25 all had a place, aswell as a Laguna, Safrane and a couple of Meganes. And obviously the current Clio.

When ever I see threads. Out old Renaults I keep thinking about getting a Renault 16, being a mid of the 70's I like the "boxy" style.

I hope to see the pictures of this fully restored, you are doing some excellent work here, not that you didn't already know that!

Reviving the thread with a little update. Haven't gotten much done since I derailed my body guy to the Mini, then he started and stopped progress a bit. He is promising to get back to it, and I will be there in a week to visit every day or so.

To his defense, much of the prior body work that appeared decent was actually bondo that had to come out and start over.

I did fix and upholster the seats
asientos_delanteros.jpg

rear_seat_finished.jpg

And removed, straightened, and polished the windshield trim
removing_trim.jpg

trim_to_polish.jpg

Renault_dent_to_remove.jpg

Taking_out_dent.jpg

sanding_trim.jpg

almost_straight.jpg

Polishing_trim.jpg

trim_polished.jpg

I have also rebuilt my Renault site to be mobile friendly, so it is very readable on any size device.

English
http://www.widman.biz/Mini/English/index.html

Spanish
http://www.widman.biz/Mini/Spanish/index.html

Nice work on that trim...

Was thinking about this project a few days ago, glad you posted...

Finally got the body shop back at work, visiting daily and reminding him that the sooner he finishes, the sooner he gets paid.

I also took the straightened bumpers to a chrome shop for a little work.
bumpers-chromed.jpg

front_painted_base.jpg

hood-painted.jpg

trunk-lid-painted.jpg

trunk-lid-painted-front.jpg

I sent him the newly fabricated springs for the doors this week, so should have them assembled this week. Also have a guy starting on the headliner for me tomorrow so my new windshield and the original rear window can go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back