Some people shouldn't be allowed cars 🤷‍♂️

She will blame you for all future problems now. The dealer set the interval at 3,000 when they PDI the car. They can make more money when the car is at the dealer more often for oil changes. You need this replaced, and this while your here, etc.

Some new cars call for periodic maintenance only every 5,000 or even 7,500 miles. Hyundai still requires it every 3,000, it appears. I wonder why?

Hyundai was notorious for denying warranty claims if a car did not receive the scheduled service, even if it was missed by only a few miles.

If that air bag light is staying on, she needs to take it to the dealer ASAP.
Hyundai is 7,500 miles/6 months for regular and 3,750 miles/6 months for severe, and almost anything throws you into severe.

The Hyundai minder can be changed by the user, and my guess is the dealer set it to 3,000 miles/3 months.

Hyundai has been all over the place with warranty claims. I know of someone that did minimal maintenance (ie changed the oil when they thought about it) and received a new motor no questions asked (albeit it was on one of the problem motors), and another that had to fight with them and she had her oil changed at the dealer every 3,000 miles and her motor went out about 1,200 miles after a change.

Some new cars call for periodic maintenance only every 5,000 or even 7,500 miles. Hyundai still requires it every 3,000, it appears. I wonder why?

Hyundai was notorious for denying warranty claims if a car did not receive the scheduled service, even if it was missed by only a few miles.

If that air bag light is staying on, she needs to take it to the dealer ASAP.
We've had a few yoda's with scheduled periodic maintenance at 10,000 miles.

nothing compared to:

bad-brake-rotor.jpg

What people do with their own property is their business. The consequences are also theirs.

IDGAF anymore.

Yeah really. I can't imagine getting involved in a neighbor's car maintenance regimen.
Well...
I already look after the family's 05 RAV4
I kept that rusty POS '99 Pathfinder on the road far longer than it would've been otherwise
We all collectively wept as the tow truck left
The kids starter '03 C240 OTOH :unsure:
We all cheered when it left, I loathed working on it
Also, this is more a family friend who's just several doors down
She's known me for 18 of my 24 years
Apparently Hyundai is changing up the packaging
PXL_20210831_193542097.jpg

Left from Advance, right from Hyundai parts dept
$10.23 + $3.84 for the crush washer
I'm ordering online next time 💰
Problem is, I've got multiple RockAuto and Amazon parts ordered jammed up because of Hurricane Ida related destruction

Maybe this is just my overprotective nature talking, but I went next door a few weeks ago to help my neighbor lady unload her kid's new sand box and the sand. The sandbox took up the whole trunk of her 2021 Altima, so two of the bags of sand (*gulp*) got piled in the passenger seat (leather). I don't know about ya'll, but I've never witnessed a non-leaking bag of sand. I urged her over and over to pleeeeeeeeease vacuum that thoroughly before you do go anywhere else. I have no idea if she bothered.

Some of us just have to accept that not everyone cares about this stuff. I've stopped nagging my sister about her 10K oil changes, for my own sanity.

Well the deed is done
On flat level, it was maybe .5 qt low?
Not a true emergency
It didn't look great, and it stunk of fuel
But that statement applies to every Hyundai/KIA I've ever did an oil change on
The factory doesn't joke around with drain plug and oil filter torque, really gotta put some 💪 into it
Cars build date was 3/2020 (now 9/2021) with 43xx on the odometer
I downgraded the job (not really 🙄) to Gas Truck 5w30, 4.5qt with a genuine oil filter
In 3m/3k the PP 5w30 will go in for the winter stretch
A Carquest cabin filter was summoned (our block has a lot of trees)
It was plugged solid with tree detritus, A/C no longer feels like an asthmatic blowing through a straw
Repaired the busted front bumper trim (I think she caught it on a parking lot curb?)
Took it for a wash and vacuum, and returned to owner
But first I took it for an extended test drive, it's a perfectly comfortable and adequate compact car, with excellent in dash tech, and simple functional controls
The IVT CVT was okay, I preferred the 6AT in the '19 rental I had
Sport mode does liven it up a bit
Seats adequate for my 6'2 280lb build, quite comfy
Factory tires garbage, could use some proper rubber
It holds like 2 gallons of washer fluid, had to run out for more

TLDR: it's fine, it didn't blow up
PXL_20210904_223016974.jpg

PXL_20210904_223059969.jpg

Last edited:
She must be pretty hot.
I laughed
Late 40s, 3 kids, one of which is close to my age
:unsure::cautious:
I write this from the husband's '05 RAV4 that I'm keeping overnight to charge the battery
Gotta get to the inspection place at 8:45 before they open @ 9
It had no oil on the dipstick, no coolant in the bottle, and an inspection "that's been up since June" that was really up in February 😲
Oh, and the son is the keeper of that Honda Rebel with the knock when he botched the oil change

This family is many things, mechanically competent is not one of them 🤣

I laughed
Late 40s, 3 kids, one of which is close to my age
:unsure::cautious:
I write this from the husband's '05 RAV4 that I'm keeping overnight to charge the battery
Gotta get to the inspection place at 8:45 before they open @ 9
It had no oil on the dipstick, no coolant in the bottle, and an inspection "that's been up since June" that was really up in February 😲
Oh, and the son is the keeper of that Honda Rebel with the knock when he botched the oil change

This family is many things, mechanically competent is not one of them 🤣

She has a husband and you're fixing HIS car too? o_O

Back