Some p/s love for the Passat W8

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Decided to do a poor-man's p/s flush - 3x drain/fill the reservoir. Using Liquimoly fluid and stop leak. Really like the LM bottle - has an extendable fill hose. Old stuff looked pretty grubby...now at least green rather than green/brown vomit color..hhahaha. Also some Jectron b/c why not.

20210227_143351.jpg

no no no... what's with the red filter of sensor failure. love the car and work you're doing just not the kn.. sure do make more noise power nah

Good lord - the folks and the open intakes/K&Ns here. I did it b/c it sounds and looks good. This isn't a race car. If it kills 10 hp, I'm still winning between that and the straight-piped wookie-howl exhaust. I actually mocked-up a nice heatshield design out of cardboard that I am going to have someone make out of metal to help out. I run one on my Sportwagen, thing does 0-60 in 3.96 and the 1/4 mile in 12.1 @ 113.5....it's not hurting a thing. On the turbo car, a fellow in that community has done a tone of testing on intercooler, turbo inlets, etc. His conclusion on open intakes? It increases the temp of the air to the turbo - duh. This cause the turbo to have to work a little harder to compress the slightly less dense/hotter air. The temp into the throttle body after the intercooler which is what really matters? Zero difference. ZERRROOOOOO. Air flow? Yes please. Go read my bits over on the filter forum about the K&Ns - my UOAs always look fantastic. Run them on all my cars.
Sportwagen_engine.jpg

Last edited:
K&N and other less air restrictive filters have their place and are useful in highly modified (tuned) engines.

In a regulars street non-modified engine you might get miniscule gain in MPG and acceleration and even that is up for debate. It could be just a placebo effect.

Can the those filters pass more harmful particles to the engine compare to QE paper filter? K&N insists that their filters are rigorously tested to meet OEM filtration standards. I'd like to see some independent test of K&N filters to prove that. If they do have those test results do they share it with the customers?.

So why people do it?
Some like to show off their engine bay like the OP, some like the extra noise, some like to sleep better and on and on.

People with excess of extra F%#K money do strange things and buy stuff they want but don't really need just because they can. It's pointless to argue with them. It's their money after all.

K&N and other less air restrictive filters have their place and are useful in highly modified (tuned) engines.

In a regulars street non-modified engine you might get miniscule gain in MPG and acceleration and even that is up for debate. It could be just a placebo effect.

Can the those filters pass more harmful particles to the engine compare to QE paper filter? K&N insists that their filters are rigorously tested to meet OEM filtration standards. I'd like to see some independent test of K&N filters to prove that. If they do have those test results do they share it with the customers?.

So why people do it?
Some like to show off their engine bay like the OP, some like the extra noise, some like to sleep better and on and on.

People with excess of extra F%#K money do strange things and buy stuff they want but don't really need just because they can. It's pointless to argue with them. It's their money after all.
nicely said

And it's pointless to argue with folks like yourself that can't seem to grasp that every decision folks here or other corners of the internet make w/r to maintenance, performance, etc. with their "excess of extra F%#K money" doesn't always have to be about optimizing longevity to a degree that most will never realize b/c the car will be gone at that point. When I hear that engine hum through that $50 K&N cone filter I smile every time - isn't that the point sometimes? How in the heck did a post about power steering maintenance turn into this dumpster fire? Classic BITOG. Next up, using engine flushes..hahahahah

As the sig says - in before lock.

as long as it’s properly ducted there’s nothing wrong with an oiled filter.

i’ve never lost a MAF to it. if you have speed density then that’s even better

And it's pointless to argue with folks like yourself that can't seem to grasp that every decision folks here or other corners of the internet make w/r to maintenance, performance, etc. with their "excess of extra F%#K money" doesn't always have to be about optimizing longevity to a degree that most will never realize b/c the car will be gone at that point. When I hear that engine hum through that $50 K&N cone filter I smile every time - isn't that the point sometimes? How in the heck did a post about power steering maintenance turn into this dumpster fire? Classic BITOG. Next up, using engine flushes..hahahahah

As the sig says - in before lock.
You right. It is pointless to argue with me on your part. But I do have some grasp of why people make certain decisions. You as a example, your mods make you smile. Other people have a different reactions and feelings about things they buy.

At the end what it comes down to is this: If you believe in something than get it. And if you don't at least pretend and in time it'll become genuine believe.

Your loyalty to K&N and LM is well known around here and on Vortex and MK7. That tells me you believe. I admire your loyalty to those products. They make you smile so that of itself counts for something.

You right. It is pointless to argue with me on your part. But I do have some grasp of why people make certain decisions. You as a example, your mods make you smile. Other people have a different reactions and feelings about things they buy.

At the end what it comes down to is this: If you believe in something than get it. And if you don't at least pretend and in time it'll become genuine believe.

Your loyalty to K&N and LM is well known around here and on Vortex and MK7. That tells me you believe. I admire your loyalty to those products. They make you smile so that of itself counts for something.
The part that is missing here (and I generally agree with your comments BTW) is that I don't just believe in things, I test them - I'm a science guy. So for oil for example, I've done lots of UOAs with LM oils in my VWs and compared them to UOAs of other commonly used brands. I currently am running M1 0W40 in my Sportwagen to see how that UOA looks w/r to viscosity drop over a change b/c many swear by it and think that it's a higher quality product - so I'm testing that out vs. just blindly believing in things. What if it does show a better result? Then maybe my "beliefs" change.

The flip side of this I see here on BITOG is the opposite of "blind loyalty" that seems to be inferred about myself or folks that use some of these products, it's blind "hate" (too strong of a word but all that came to me this morning) - regardless of whether K&Ns cause issues, folks will say they do b/c it's online group-think here and elsewhere. Regardless whether LM oil looks the same as M1 or whatever brand in UOA, it is still "over-rated" b/c some folks just can't stand their marketing. dept...and it's fun to rile them up about it..hahahaha

In the end you are correct, we all chose what we want to use/spend our money on and generally "believe in it" much like I'm sure you believe in what oil you use in your cars even if the data show you can use something cheaper/etc. in it and someone online says so. I take it you are over on vortex/mk7? Have you done anything to that Golf? The little 1.8 can be quite a power-house with some software....

The part that is missing here (and I generally agree with your comments BTW) is that I don't just believe in things, I test them - I'm a science guy. So for oil for example, I've done lots of UOAs with LM oils in my VWs and compared them to UOAs of other commonly used brands. I currently am running M1 0W40 in my Sportwagen to see how that UOA looks w/r to viscosity drop over a change b/c many swear by it and think that it's a higher quality product - so I'm testing that out vs. just blindly believing in things. What if it does show a better result? Then maybe my "beliefs" change.

The flip side of this I see here on BITOG is the opposite of "blind loyalty" that seems to be inferred about myself or folks that use some of these products, it's blind "hate" (too strong of a word but all that came to me this morning) - regardless of whether K&Ns cause issues, folks will say they do b/c it's online group-think here and elsewhere. Regardless whether LM oil looks the same as M1 or whatever brand in UOA, it is still "over-rated" b/c some folks just can't stand their marketing. dept...and it's fun to rile them up about it..hahahaha

In the end you are correct, we all chose what we want to use/spend our money on and generally "believe in it" much like I'm sure you believe in what oil you use in your cars even if the data show you can use something cheaper/etc. in it and someone online says so. I take it you are over on vortex/mk7? Have you done anything to that Golf? The little 1.8 can be quite a power-house with some software....
Good morning. Nicely said. As far as the blind hate you refer to I would worded it more like envy. BTW nice collection of cars you got and you take good care of them.

My Golf is a first VW I got and love it. Yes I do have a couple of mods. VWR springs and aluminum dog bone. I also got hi flow Afe Dry air filter and I ran it for about three years but I am back to regular WIX and Mann filters. Did I noticed any difference with Afe? Besides some slight change in noise maybe nothing else. The mileage with Afe was pretty much the same as with OE paper filter media. And as many on here say it makes me sleep better with OE filter. Just joking.

Thanks for the nice sit down and as some of my Italian friends would say I learned tune up from, Have a nice day goombah.

Good morning. Nicely said. As far as the blind hate you refer to I would worded it more like envy. BTW nice collection of cars you got and you take good care of them.

My Golf is a first VW I got and love it. Yes I do have a couple of mods. VWR springs and aluminum dog bone. I also got hi flow Afe Dry air filter and I ran it for about three years but I am back to regular WIX and Mann filters. Did I noticed any difference with Afe? Besides some slight change in noise maybe nothing else. The mileage with Afe was pretty much the same as with OE paper filter media. And as many on here say it makes me sleep better with OE filter. Just joking.

Thanks for the nice sit down and as some of my Italian friends would say I learned tune up from, Have a nice day goombah.
"Fohgettaboutit"

Looked for w8 Passats a couple years ago. All were either mangled, abused, or neglected. Such a nice engine too and typical US consumers turned too many into junk.

Love the sound of the rockcatcher intakes. All my cars have either pods/panels from various manufacturers. Never had one kill power or the engine. And, definitely noticeable improvement on my turbo'd engines. I'd bet that the w8 likes to breathe easier too.

Motul/Ravenol also have built in tube/funnels on some of their cans/bottles.... That would cost too much for bp/xom/sopus/... to do with US bottles ;-)

Yes, envy is better than my choice....no coffee..hahahaah.

The OTS Stage 1 tunes for these Golfs will blow your mind. Here's my Sportwagen with 4Motion with the Golf R upgrades for a full-send grocery getter. Thing is absolute beast.

Sportwagen_rear.jpg

Looked for w8 Passats a couple years ago. All were either mangled, abused, or neglected. Such a nice engine too and typical US consumers turned too many into junk.

Love the sound of the rockcatcher intakes. All my cars have either pods/panels from various manufacturers. Never had one kill power or the engine. And, definitely noticeable improvement on my turbo'd engines. I'd bet that the w8 likes to breathe easier too.

Motul/Ravenol also have built in tube/funnels on some of their cans/bottles.... That would cost too much for bp/xom/sopus/... to do with US bottles ;-)
The one I got is in amazing shape, had to get it. Leaving it un-molested but did do the full wookie exhaust....you just have to as that W8 just howls!!!

Back