Some oil prices are lower than several years ago

I was cleaning up and found some old receipts I paid $29.x for M1 EP 10W-30 at Wal-Mart several years ago.

Few days ago it was $24.x and I have couple of jugs I paid $22.x ...
not that I was, but reminded me not to whine about high engine oil prices! :unsure:

Just an observation not considering time value of money, mass production, supply and demand, inflation , supply chain shortages, etc.

Well that’s a bummer, I just payed $26 and change Mobil1 EP 0W20 on Amazon...and thought I was getting a great deal. 🤣🤣🤣

But I get your point, engine oil prices (although have gone up), don’t seem to mirror gas prices anywhere near as much. And might actually drop/be dropping now.

Depending on the week of the month, I've see it from $24.x to $26.x at the store. now it's $25.44 on their website so you are close enough. :)

Well that’s a bummer, I just payed $26 and change Mobil1 EP 0W20 on Amazon...and thought I was getting a great deal. 🤣🤣🤣

But I get your point, engine oil prices (although have gone up), don’t seem to mirror gas prices anywhere near as much. And might actually drop/be dropping now.

Good point! Wonder how much I spent for oil changes in college ... My oci was 1200 to 3000 miles max. using 10W-40 dino. 1500 miles oci is in my head. should call and ask a friend we changed oil together.
Looking back, I should have extended my oci and drank more beer with the savings! :)

Mobil 1 was $5/quart 40 years ago, which is equivalent to ~$19 today. :eek: Puts things in perspective. One quart then cost nearly as much in equivalent value as we pay for the gallon jug (or 5 quarts, whatever) now.

All true. However 40 years ago synthetic oil like Mobil 1 was still fairly new to the overall market, when compared to the dino oil marketplace. It didn't exist in either the volume, or popularity it does today.

In essence, it was for the most part considered new technology back then. Since then it's popularity has spread everywhere. And the methods of manufacturing it have increased in both efficiency, volume, as well as cost.

Not to mention everyone and their brother markets all but countless brands, weights, and formulas of the stuff. Competition is everywhere. Both here and abroad. The longer technology exists, the cheaper it becomes. Cell phones and big flat screen TV's come to mind.

Depending on the week of the month, I've see it from $24.x to $26.x at the store. now it's $25.44 on their website so you are close enough. :)
For the past few months the 0W20 EP has been around $29 bucks at Walmart...think my last oil change was two months ago and I paid around $28.

Didn't realize it dropped. Then again we're only talking a couple bucks...I just sent my property tax quarterly payment in, it was over $4,000. 🤣

I remember paying a quarter a quart for DA Lubes oil back in the late 60s. Gasoline was similar per gallon, typically under 30 cents. The inflation calculator gives .25 USD >>> 2.23 today.

With today's faltering markets and supply chains, just be happy you can find it on the shelf when you need it. A LOT of products are difficult to locate.... At ANY price.
I ordered 10 jugs of M1 EP 0W-20 from WM online due to the current "sale." 2 jugs are coming from Jacksonville, 2 jugs are coming from Columbia, MO, and 2 jugs are coming from Fairfield, CA. The only explanation for this is a lack of inventory, IMO.

All I buy are 5 quart jugs now. Single quarts are stupidly expensive in comparison. The jugs are all graduated so you simply pour the amount required. Or buy a graduated plastic pitcher and use it. I have 3 vehicles. One takes 5 quarts. Another takes 6. And another takes 7... All crankcases are filled from 5 qt. jugs.

All I buy are 5 quart jugs now. Single quarts are stupidly expensive in comparison. The jugs are all graduated so you simply pour the amount required. Or buy a graduated plastic pitcher and use it. I have 3 vehicles. One takes 5 quarts. Another takes 6. And another takes 7... All crankcases are filled from 5 qt. jugs.
Exactly. Purchases of single quarts should be for emergency top-offs only.

Since I'm on a fixed income, I should pick up, a jug a month.. 😉
Judging by your posts in the detail section, I would have never guessed. ;)

Back