Some of the most satisfying redults: Mcguires Ultimate Compound

This was done entirely by hand. I first used Dawn dish washing liquid and several hot water rinses and lots of hand scrubbing on this 1988 paint job on my '59 Ford.

It took roughly 8 solid hours to do the entire car....which has at least the same amount of surface area as a 3/4 ton truck.
20210815_172806.jpg

I used Terry cloth towels, turning often as you can see on the trunk. Winter will be over someday, and I can enjoy the open road.

Nice job but a dual action polisher would cut that time in half and give a more consistent and better looking result.
For those that are lazy or have multiple cars to do... I strongly agree that there's something to manual labor for total satisfaction. As long as I still have functioning limbs I do as much as possible to avoid automation.

For those that are lazy or have multiple cars to do... I strongly agree that there's something to manual labor for total satisfaction. As long as I still have functioning limbs I do as much as possible to avoid automation.
Lazy has nothing to do with it. Consistency of a machine will produce a better looking product. Your hand won't apply the same pressure at every location or as it tires and can show as uneven patches.

Thank you all. I've spent many hours restoring this car which sat for many decades in a Pole barn. I did have to do some paint and body work. The entire mechanicals was completly rebuilt/inspected by me over the last 5 years.

These are pictures from various stages. The night drive one is after the entire car was compounded and waxed, I think you get the idea.

You will notice various inconsistencies in the pictures, like hubcaps, exhaust dur to the various stages they were taken.

On the comment about a polisher....I've done professional jobs and this paint correction is a labor of love on some old paint. The risk of burn through is very minimal with hand work. This isn't something I do on a new paint job in a production shop. I am not a keyboard warrior.

20211024_180729.jpg
20211002_185908.jpg
20210604_210843.jpg
20210725_202341.jpg
20210307_081404.jpg
20210313_131201.jpg

20200808_143045.jpg

Last edited:
Currently the front suspension is torn out for lowering and an aftermarket sway bar. And is dusty from being in the garage since November.

these are pictures from 2 years ago before total paint correction, dual exhaust, overdrive colum shifted manual, etc.
20201005_120716.jpg
20200816_133527.jpg

This is the car before all the paint correction.

Last edited:
Yes, please do. I was 10 years old in '59 and I'd love to see more of your ride. Your work done by hand shows massive dedication and perseverance, well done (y)

Don't forget to protect your hard work with your choice of wax or sealant.
This was followed with Turtle wax ceramic. Hybrid Solutions, had excellent results with that as well. Always used to use Finish 2000 from Turtle wax, but this stuff is way better and longer lasting.

Does it have a pull handle for overdrive? I had a '58 Ford wagon two-door.
The 3 on the tree turned it into a 5 speed using the overdrive handle. The 352 ci Police Interceptor V-8 made it pretty stout for its day but stopping was something else altogether.

A friend did a similar thorough restoration on a 64 Thunderbird. He was able to track down NOS interior fabric and had the seats redone. This was 30 or so years ago though.

Does it have a pull handle for overdrive? I had a '58 Ford wagon two-door.
The 3 on the tree turned it into a 5 speed using the overdrive handle. The 352 ci Police Interceptor V-8 made it pretty stout for its day but stopping was something else altogether.
It was a 3 on the tree when I bought it. I put a 3+OD (essentially a 4 speed toploader) in it. All 4 forward gears are on the colum, reverse is cable shifted with a Morse push/pull cable with the handle hidden under the seat. The transmission I found at a local hoarders parts stash. It was out of a 1979 Granda or Mustang. Car (wide) ratios, not the truck (close) ratios. He had both a close and wide ratio overdrive Ford/Tremec transmission there. I wanted the deeper 1st and reverse gear due to my 2.91 axle ratio.

Now I cruise at 1700 RPM at 65 instead of 2600. I bumped compression to 9.6:1 and I'd estimate a 260HP and 375 torque....seat of the pants.

I put a complete aftermarket power booster and master on it, with Kevlar shoes front and rear. Stops remarkably well and straight. I figured I'd see how the 4 way drums worked and if it was terrible I'd put disc on the front. We don't have lots of long hills where brake fade would be an issue.

You can see how much room the brake booster and linkage take up. Makes adjusting the clutch and shift arms tight. I cut a hole in the wheel well for access from the side and put some black rubber over it.
20211211_175525.jpg

This was done entirely by hand. I first used Dawn dish washing liquid and several hot water rinses and lots of hand scrubbing on this 1988 paint job on my '59 Ford.

It took roughly 8 solid hours to do the entire car....which has at least the same amount of surface area as a 3/4 ton truck. View attachment 93328

I used Terry cloth towels, turning often as you can see on the trunk. Winter will be over someday, and I can enjoy the open road.
Awesome job. Even the glass looks great.

It's not automation lol.

You use a power drill to hang drywall, right? Or do you use a screwdriver? What about cutting a 2x4? Hand saw or circular saw?
I trust my hands far more than most tools. I don't bother with drywall and most time cutting wood I do use a handsaw. Same thing applies to coffee as I far prefer a quality hand grinder than the simple push button electric. Again, opinions vary and we all have different methods to reach the expected end result.

Back