Some manufacturer's recommendation in cars driven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want to post a bunch of pics in this thread of what's recommended for some of the cars that I've been able to drive.

Rav 4, less than 2 years old...
IMG_20150828_153028.jpg

Hilux 2.7 and 4.0 Engines...
IMG_20150515_171319.jpg

And D4D diesel
IMG_20150515_171234.jpg

Nissan Navara D22 (Frontier over there...global manual, coveres Europe and Asia)...Petrol
NavaraPetrol.jpg

And Diesel
NavaraDieselEngineOil.jpg

Here's my Caprice with the 3.8 V-6 supercharged...
IMG_06151.jpg

This was either a Camry (think it was), or a Prius.

9F67A11D-35F6-4007-BCCC-38C48D56865A-4193-00000406DD65CEAB.jpg

My old E30 323i
E30oil.jpg

I like the very bottom one... "Special"
oil must be really good stuff
smile.gif

Starts at -40°C to way up there to plus 30°C.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Rumour has it that was a 5W30 synthetic.

The literature from "a while ago" with the BMW approved oils for this grade suggested 10w40 was the typical weight - a semi-synth as I recall.

I'm curious as to why Toyota only recommends the 5w30 for colder conditions as opposed to 10w30 or even thicker for all other applications...
Is it possible engine damage could result from using a 5w30 in hot conditions, or is this simply a precaution against shearing?

(10w30 typically isn't a synthetic either... I note they recommend using "TGMO," yet when our Toyota with the 4.0L V6 visited Toyota, it got Castrol Magnatec 10w30, a semi-synth...)

The recommendations for your Caprice are interesting too. What year is it?
API SG or SH seems like a very old standard for a car that was seemingly produced in the latter 90s or early 2000's. The recommendation of 20w50 or 15w40 is interesting too.

My BMW E36 has a similar-looking oil chart as well. It seems as though 15w40 (that would be "BMW High Power Mineral Oil") was a preferred fill at the time, not for well-below freezing starts, and Special Oils were good for anything else.
In the USA - the recommendation is basically 5w30 or 10w30 with LongLife oils (which replace the Special Oils - and are quite a bit thinner at start and in operation, too).

Originally Posted By: B320i
The literature from "a while ago" with the BMW approved oils for this grade suggested 10w40 was the typical weight - a semi-synth as I recall.

Cool, didn't know that.

I'm curious as to why Toyota only recommends the 5w30 for colder conditions as opposed to 10w30 or even thicker for all other applications...

Is it possible engine damage could result from using a 5w30 in hot conditions, or is this simply a precaution against shearing?

The Japanese manuals that I've dug around for usually have a fairly low upper limit for 5W30...presumably shear as you mention.

The recommendations for your Caprice are interesting too. What year is it?
API SG or SH seems like a very old standard for a car that was seemingly produced in the latter 90s or early 2000's. The recommendation of 20w50 or 15w40 is interesting too.

So would that Prius/ Camry thing take 0w20 in the US then?

From another pic, "For cold areas, 10w30 is preferred."

What exactly is "cold" or "hot" in Australia? -6*C for cold and 48*C for hot? If i had to take a guess...

Last edited:
Your Nissan oil chart is just like mine,with mine having an addendum that says "Do not use 5W20 in your Nissan" and "Do not use 5W30 in turbo model". And then my car also has a sticker under the hood that says "10W30 up to 60F,10W40 above 60F". Nissan definitely doesn't recommend thinner oils for the Z32's.

The disparity between 5w-30 and 10w-30 temp ranges in there is the strangest to me. Just because an oil is 5w-30 or 10w-30 doesnt make it destined for such low temps or magically robust to support the higher ones. THe oils are indeed the same viscosity at operating temperatures, quality and shear stability aside.

The BMW chart is much more realistic in that maybe a 10w-30 can go a little higher given less VIIs, etc.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
United States: 0W20 year round

What's interesting is that 0-20 protects as well as the 20-50 oils, and gives all the benefits of 0-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The disparity between 5w-30 and 10w-30 temp ranges in there is the strangest to me. Just because an oil is 5w-30 or 10w-30 doesnt make it destined for such low temps or magically robust to support the higher ones. THe oils are indeed the same viscosity at operating temperatures, quality and shear stability aside.

The BMW chart is much more realistic in that maybe a 10w-30 can go a little higher given less VIIs, etc.

That's the 1st thing that jumped out at me. Those oil charts above don't think much of 5w-30 above 60 deg F, making them generally useless for all of the US during April-October. One would think a 30 grade is a 30 grade and would hold up for an OCI regardless of whether 0w, 5w, or 10w. The 5w-20 is off the scale low. 540Rat would not be happy with that.

It amazes me every time we see this comparison. I'll side with the engineers designing the engine vs the gov't desk jockey that's justifying his job by putting out some [possibly] uninformed paperwork.

Example in the Supercharged 3.8 manual: "20W/50 for normal use....For prolonged use in snow areas the use of 15W/40 is recommended". Now granted Australia doesn't get nearly as cold as the US does (single digits °F, at altitude at Thredbo ski resort for example), but still this points to me that the engineers designing the engines want them to last.

Originally Posted By: tig1

What's interesting is that 0-20 protects as well as the 20-50 oils, and gives all the benefits of 0-20.

In many cases this may be true. But why would vehicle manufacturers, worldwide, recommend thicker oils in all their vehicles? The thinnest I saw in any of Shannow's manuals was 5w30. What makes 0w20 a magic elixir in the US but nowhere else?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato

In many cases this may be true. But why would vehicle manufacturers, worldwide, recommend thicker oils in all their vehicles? The thinnest I saw in any of Shannow's manuals was 5w30. What makes 0w20 a magic elixir in the US but nowhere else?

Its weird, but to me its weird in the opposite way its weird to you. In my lifetime, the THICKEST recommended oil for an ordinary passenger car in my area was 10w40, and that was 40+ years ago. When I was a kid (70s) the "really old cars" we played with- circa 1940s thru early 50s, were usually spec'd for straight 30 weight, not straight 40 or 50. For the next 20 odd years, 10w30 was the norm, and a 15w40 was a diesel engine oil you might use in a 400k mile worn-out engine to eke out a few more years. 20w50 was extreme race engine oil, not anything ANYONE would consider driving on the street, even in the desert southwest where 110-115F is common ambient temperature and the freeways are LONG and straight.

And yet, none of these cars that now run on 5w20 seem to blow up or live short lives... quite the opposite in fact. My conclusion is the rest of the world specs oil differently than north America simply because, for whatever reason and it WASN'T fuel economy, American manufacturers were already building with the intent of Xw30 being the maximum viscosity all the way back in the 60s and 70s. GM specifically said their de-endorsement of 10w40 back in the 70s was due to deposits formed by the VI modifiers typical of 10w40 oils of the day. Whatever the cause, the supply infrastructure was already geared up for 10w30 and 5w30, and when Ford started moving Xw20 into the supply stream in the early 90s, it was just not a big deal. Now its the norm.

People say that in the rest of the world, oil is spec'd by engineers for longevity and in the US its set by bureaucrats for emissions/efficiency, and there may be a grain of truth in the latter. But a) it hasn't HURT longevity at all, and b) the argument could just as easily be made that the rest of the world is clinging to outdated viscosities just because of the inertia in the supply chain.

Last edited:
Yup and in severe conditions (desert, towing, etc.) it useless as far as I'm concerned.

Tore down too many motors to use less than a XW-30 in anything older than 2012 ...

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Its weird, but to me its weird in the opposite way its weird to you. In my lifetime, the THICKEST recommended oil for an ordinary passenger car in my area was 10w40, and that was 40+ years ago. When I was a kid (70s) the "really old cars" we played with- circa 1940s thru early 50s, were usually spec'd for straight 30 weight, not straight 40 or 50. For the next 20 odd years, 10w30 was the norm, and a 15w40 was a diesel engine oil you might use in a 400k mile worn-out engine to eke out a few more years. 20w50 was extreme race engine oil, not anything ANYONE would consider driving on the street, even in the desert southwest where 110-115F is common ambient temperature and the freeways are LONG and straight.

And yet, none of these cars that now run on 5w20 seem to blow up or live short lives... quite the opposite in fact. My conclusion is the rest of the world specs oil differently than north America simply because, for whatever reason and it WASN'T fuel economy, American manufacturers were already building with the intent of Xw30 being the maximum viscosity all the way back in the 60s and 70s. GM specifically said their de-endorsement of 10w40 back in the 70s was due to deposits formed by the VI modifiers typical of 10w40 oils of the day. Whatever the cause, the supply infrastructure was already geared up for 10w30 and 5w30, and when Ford started moving Xw20 into the supply stream in the early 90s, it was just not a big deal. Now its the norm.

People say that in the rest of the world, oil is spec'd by engineers for longevity and in the US its set by bureaucrats for emissions/efficiency, and there may be a grain of truth in the latter. But a) it hasn't HURT longevity at all, and b) the argument could just as easily be made that the rest of the world is clinging to outdated viscosities just because of the inertia in the supply chain.

I started to spend time in North America in the mid 70's, comming from the UK Being interested in cars a couple of things struck me.

1) Lighter oils were used, 10w-30 was on the rack at every gas station.

2) People paid more attention to motor oil. Guy's would talk about doing an oil change and what brands they would use. You would often see people checking their oil at a gas station.

3) Considering car engines were very much larger. Car trips were typically longer (lots of short trip use in the UK) and usage was typically gentle (no thrashing on the motorway) Engines were NOT LASTING MUCH LONGER than a typical 4 banger would back in the UK. 100k.

When I bought my first vehicles here my thoughts were, the climate here Vancouver Island is similar or warmer than the UK, I have a 2 litre engine like I might have in the UK, so I'll use 20w-50 oil like I would in the UK.

Jeez, I buy cars with 100K on them and consider them just broken in. Of course I look for well maintained ones, or ones I want to put my own built engines in, but still - if that's all they lasted I'd be a poor man
laugh.gif

Of course we don't have VC's weather here. And I do look for stuff from warm dry climates, but ...

I have over 150K on everything but my Saab (134K and counting) and that includes my wife's Jag XJ6. Everything gets 15W-40 HDEO once it crosses the 125K mark. Below that it'll get 10W-30 as I evaluate the actual condition of the engine (compression, blow-by, etc.).

Oh, and a few are well over 200K and running strong
smile.gif
I usually spend more on re-upholstery than internal engine parts until they get out to 250K...

Last edited:
It amazes me every time we see this comparison. I'll side with the engineers designing the engine vs the gov't desk jockey that's justifying his job by putting out some [possibly] uninformed paperwork.

Example in the Supercharged 3.8 manual: "20W/50 for normal use....For prolonged use in snow areas the use of 15W/40 is recommended". Now granted Australia doesn't get nearly as cold as the US does (single digits °F, at altitude at Thredbo ski resort for example), but still this points to me that the engineers designing the engines want them to last.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I see it the other way around. What make's the heavier oils magic? Also since way more vehicles are sold in North America that call for 0-20 or 5-20 oils than else where, 0-20 seems to be the norm. Another thing, 0-20 oils may be very hard to find in many countries that are not as advanced as we are here and Asia, that design many of these engines. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yup and in severe conditions (desert, towing, etc.) it useless as far as I'm concerned.

Tore down too many motors to use less than a XW-30 in anything older than 2012 ...

Yes, and other mechanics will say just the opposite. Sorry, but there is no evidence that engines calling for 20 wt oils fail pre-maturely. It certainly isn't noted here on BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back