Some Macro pics of Bosch Platinum +2 @ ~26k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
With spark plugs, you'll always do well to just copy OEM spark plugs exactly or very nearly. Modern engines were designed to avoid misfire, and combustion chamber design of a specific engine affects what works and what doesn't. Go with what was used originally, since they chose what ignites the mixture best.

Did this engine start pinging? Looking at the system in the picture I would be looking at replacing the coil. Weak coils (not failed) are often masked by new ignition parts but start having ignition problems sooner than later.
A double platinum single ground electrode would be the one I would go with.

The Bosch +2 & +4 had less than stellar conductivity has Bosch bragged about the full platinum alloy core plus tip. The Bosch platinum plugs that came on my old Passat was the copper core with the platinum tip welded to the core and ground electrode.

Audi used iirc, 4 ground Bosch plugs with copper cores in the past

Bad experience 14 years ago with Bosch +4s in a Toyota that spec'd Denso Platinum (7M-GE)

Never again Bosch.

The Denso design was ahead of its time when Toyota used them in the 1980s. Bosch decided to go a different route - but if Bosch's non-finewire Pt/Ir plugs are as good as they claim, why didn't VW/Audi/Porsche, Mercedes and BMW specify them as service plugs? They still used Bosch Super or Beru until recently.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Bosch decided to go a different route - but if Bosch's non-finewire Pt/Ir plugs are as good as they claim, why didn't VW/Audi/Porsche, Mercedes and BMW specify them as service plugs? They still used Bosch Super or Beru until recently.

Did you stop beating your wife yet?

BTW a friend of mine bought a new Tiguan 1.4 TSI in 16 and it has them OE

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: nthach
Bosch decided to go a different route - but if Bosch's non-finewire Pt/Ir plugs are as good as they claim, why didn't VW/Audi/Porsche, Mercedes and BMW specify them as service plugs? They still used Bosch Super or Beru until recently.

Did you stop beating your wife yet?

BTW a friend of mine bought a new Tiguan 1.4 TSI in 16 and it has them OE

lol, got me mistake for another person
smile.gif

What I meant to say was that when Bosch did come out with the original design Platinums(the ones with the recessed center electrode that morphed into the +2/+4 designs) is that Bosch heavily marketed them in the aftermarket - and VAG/Mercedes/BMW still used Bosch Super or Beru as the service plug, this was in the 1990s when I remember walking into Kragen as a kid and they were pushing them as an upgrade over regular Autolites and Splitfire as the "premium" plug.

Bosch is now using the same design as Denso/NGK, a friend's truck has them and I told him to run them with confidence.

When I had a knocking problem with my LS1 (not related to plugs, it turned out), switching to Bosch +4's improved it somewhat. Also, I like that they don't have a platinum "puck" on the electrode that can possibly break off, which some people claim to have happened with other plugs (LS1 again). I've used both +4 and +2 Bosch and like them.

Thanks for the time & effort to share these pics with incredible detail.
I used the Bosch + 4 on a 92 Camry 4cyl--I remember they worked really well--kind of like the results years ago after you did a "real tune-up".
Apparently they've been discontinued, as I looked for the + 4's for other vehicles
Steve

I had good results with the Plus 4 plugs in my Turbo Miata, running 33 pounds boost. With that much pressure the OEM coils were unable to reliably fire conventional plugs. For what ever reason, the +4's worked every time. And, they lasted quite a long time. I suspect the combustion chamber turbulence was partially shielded by the 4 electrodes and allowed them to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back