Some Macro pics of Bosch Platinum +2 @ ~26k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_6529_zpsjndgenba.jpg

IMG_6529%20copy_zpsmagfnyue.jpg

I thought the center electrode was interesting

They were in there for about 13 or 14 years.

I replaced them with NGK G power.

Found number 2 spark plug wire had 2x the resistance of its equal length equal brand replacement, and the slightest movement of wire changed resistance. 5 of the other wires were within 0.5 K ohms of new Old read higher resistance, 2 were within 0.05K ohm and those were the shortest ones on cylinders 5 and 7.

As these 8mm Taylor hi energy series wires, were the first to last longer than 2 years, I replaced them with the same. Seems they bake faster than normal under the Van's tight fitting reflective engine cover.

It now idles so smooth again I have to check Dashboard to make sure it is still running.

IMG_6530_zpsy8x9ezmm.jpg

IMG_6532_zpsbfn6pev4.jpg

IMG_6533_zpsjj8ryvoz.jpg

Some of the grit/detritus accumulated after removal.

New Airtex/Wells distributor cap has brass center terminal and copper outer terminals.
20170610_184216_zps2felhbjh.jpg

I wonder how the copper will hold up compared to the brass.

Nice photos, thanks for your effort.

I've never liked the multiple (2 or 4) ground electrode plugs, mainly due to potential flow obstruction over the spark (aka, indexing to combat shrouding). The best plugs out there have one ground electrode.

Also, this wire story reminds me how good Direct Ignition is.

Back in 04 when I installed these double electrode plugs, I instantly got a bunch of grief from others about my choice of plugs. But they worked fine in this engine, an LA 318, and could likely go a lot longer.

The 8mm taylor wires Mopar cap are from 2007, the SMP rotor a year or 2or 3 newer.

While it runs and idles a lot smoother now, it cranks for a bit longer before catching.

Perhaps I need to reset ECM.

Yes, predominately very short trip driving, the ocean is only 1.5 miles away, stores are similar distance.

My camera is a Canon Eos rebel T5I. I was using the Kit lens, 35 to 80mm.

F32@ 2seconds ISO 640, 55m focal length. ISO was set to Auto, usually I use the lowest possible.

I was using some cheap macro filters stacked +1 +2 and +4 They actually need to be cleaned as they appeared cloudy to my naked eye but I was kind of in a rush.

While shutter was open for 2 seconds, I Swung my LED headlamp around from different angles. I used a remote shutter trigger so as to not shake camera depressing the shutter button. I realize the time delay can also work but my cheapo tripod might not stop shaking for perhaps that long.

I can achieve better results with more time consumed. Mostly I was taking a photo as my magnifying lens and my naked eye, do not seem to reveal as much detail as a macro photo on my laptop screen can. I like taking a slight overexposure then taming the levels in photoshop. Once I zoomed on the first photo I took of the plug, I said good enough, and moved the other objects.

I'd love a real macro lens

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
Yes, predominately very short trip driving, the ocean is only 1.5 miles away, stores are similar distance.
Dude, you're in CA, get a Nissan Leaf (maybe a used one) for those short distances. Maybe a Ford Focus Electric for better handling. Then get a used gas car for long trips. Big subsidies from the feds on those electrics. No plugs to change.

Nice pictures
smile.gif

Those plugs look fried for 32k!

Are Denso Iridium TT plugs and NGK wires available for your application?

A Nissan Leaf cannot hold 2 9 foot+ surfboards to its ceiling.

Priorities man.

Also my registration is only 70$ per year with such a old valueless(bluebook) vehicle. Id save NO money trying to burn less fuel.

The Denso iridium TT's are available, not sure about the NGK wires.

But the NGK G power plugs were $1.68 a piece and the Taylor wires were 38$. No other wire set has made it past 2.5 years in this vehicle, so I had no issue buying the same ten year old Taylors again.

The Only Bad spark plug wire was on the #2 cylinder, which is also the longest wire, or at least the wire with most unsupported length, so perhaps its failure was vibration related.

I'm pretty sure the Picture of the worst spark plug was also from #2.

Also my registration is only 70$ per year with such a old valueless(bluebook) vehicle. Id save NO money trying to burn less fuel.

Tax gets less as the vehicle gets older? Nice.

Here there's talk of doing it the other way around.

A Nissan Leaf cannot hold 2 9 foot+ surfboards to its ceiling.
A Leaf, and Focus Electric, is 14' long. Roof rack, will hold it.

Its strange how the ground electrode looks to be almost gone. Just 32k miles should not have done that. The only time-related aging mode I can think of is all the extremely short trips left a little H2O on it and caused deterioration.

Wondering if iridium plugs would last longer with those short trips? The ones you have are fine since the vehicle is old enough to retire soon anyway.

Lots of pitting, missing platinum for a plug thats supposed to be good for 100k miles. Your plug looks like it had 80k miles on it.
Maybe someone knows the degradation process for short-tripped plugs like that. Possibly a water-acid process for cool plugs that pits it like that.

As cool as the pictures are, I don't think my 80d is going anywhere near a potentially greasy setup of a vehicle repair. Temped though, I gotta admit.

I took the pics the day after removal from engine. There was time for a baby spider to leave some silk from electrode to ground and for some dust to settle.

but a t5i with kit lens is no is 80d

I was unaware that short trip driving affected ignition component longevity.

I thought the center electrode was interesting

I have always HATED those plugs.

Nothing I installed them in has ever run right & got replaced QUICKLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back