Some interesting Syn vs Dino oil information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some interesting Syn vs Dino oil information for those who might not already know these things...

Link Here

cheers3.gif

Sounds like he is a synthetic convert! I am to as of 20 years ago...
I resisted as well because of the higher price per quart.

I guess I am in the 1% category in your signature line?
shocked2.gif

I use synthetic myself, but only when needed like in the winter time for extreme cold as my driving in the warmer weather keeps the engine hot all day and most of it is highway driving and so a dino does fine.

I ran Syn for most of the engines life year round before I joined BITOG, and have this whole summer because I had tons of it and there was no good Dino sales until recently when I picked up 32 jugs of VWB, which I intend on running in the summers starting next summer.

I can certainly tell you from my UOA's that syn does last 3 times as long as dino does. I don't think this is because dino is inferior but I think they put more work and more of an additive package into syn because it costs more and this makes it superior to dino. The actual base stock isn't what does it IMO.

So whether you run Syn or Dino make sure you run it enough miles to make it worth your cost, ensuring your OCI is reasonable and within the oils capable limits of course. Always double check your TBN/TAN levels occasionally to ensure the oil isn't being over stressed due to formulation changes, or engine problems that show up.

Last edited:
The reason I am choosing syn more often is that more thought and money seems to be put into the total package. I am also interested in conventional oils that seem to use killer additive packages such as mystik.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
The reason I am choosing syn more often is that more thought and money seems to be put into the total package.

i think it would be very hard for anyone to prove that. my opinion is that a lot of thought needs to go into handling the natural variability of dino oils and managing it appropriately. with synthetics, it is "all" manufactured with less variability, making things a bit easier. IMHO

I get Mobil 1 5W-30 at $5/qt all the time at WalMart in the 5 qt jugs. I do an oil change every 6 months with a NAPA filter.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I would like to know where he buys his name brand Syn oil for $ 4.95 a Qt.

I think that the article was from about 2004. But Boomer is right! The 5qt jugs are a better value.

StevieC

Nice article, thanks for posting this. I learned in the early sixties the benifits of synthitic oil as I was a jet engine mech in the Navy. Later in the 70s I started using synt. oil as a help in cold weather while living in Maine for 10 years. As many know I have stayed with synt. oil even when it wasn't cool to do so. I believe in 10 years or so all engines will require it as many today are doing.

Nice article. I run dino and synthetic my reasons are as follows. My new cars get a dino break in, because I do a few short OCI's then I switch to synthetic oil. The reason for the synthetic oil is the new car usually sits and is used once or twice a week, and spends most of the winter in the garage. I feel the synthetic oils are more likely to cling to metal better, and offer better cold start flow. Once the car is demoted to a daily driver, I usually change over to dino oil, or if I buy a used car, and it was run on dino I'll continue with dino.

I agree with tig1 that in a few years synthetic oil will be more popular and more engines will require it.

I intend to run Dino in the summers and Syn in the winters for cost effectiveness and because I have the confidence that a quality Dino will adequately protect my engine when the outside temperatures are warm enough.

When the truck hits the 500K KM (300K Miles) I will then downgrade it to Dino and run that year round because anything I get out of the engine past 500K KM (300K miles) would be gravy IMO!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I see Amsoil is making 5 litre jugs in the European oil. I wish they would do it for all the gallon sizes.......
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Might have to try some Euro oil in my Santa Fe!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back