Some cars haven't changed much in 30 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.autotrader.com/best-cars/7-cars-sold-canada-and-not-america-255777

Nissan Micra
Yes, there is a Nissan below the Versa. It's called the Micra, and it's sold in Canada, where it starts at -- this is entirely true -- $9,988 Canadian. That translates to $7,600 in U.S. dollars.
Oh, sure, it's true that the base model comes with a stick shift, power nothing, illuminated nothing, keyless nothing, automated nothing and an option group worryingly called the INTENSITY PACKAGE (capitalization and all). But who cares when you're talking about a new car for $7,600?!
Not surprisingly, the Micra is tremendously popular in Canada -- except in the extreme northern parts, where a regulation-sized moose could eat a Micra in one sitting.

Originally Posted by ekpolk
Originally Posted by madRiver
You leave out that crash worthiness has drastically improved in vehicles over time.

It's pretty remarkable how well the cars can now confine the crumpling/energy absorption to the parts of the structure NOT occupied by the humans.

But yet, in countries like India the automakers litterally get away with murder: http://www.globalncap.org/global-ncap-calls-for-urgent-withdrawal-of-datsun-go/

Yes, it's targeted for the 3rd world - but you'd think the economies of scale at an automaker would allow them to at least design a decent safety cage and crumple zones along with airbags.

However, a home-grown effort in a different category did pretty well in crash testing: http://www.globalncap.org/global-ncaps-first-five-star-car-india-tata-nexon/

Last edited:
Perhaps they've settled into a pattern that, from market feedback, works and there's not a lot of incentive to invest more in improving or "updating" something that's already performing its intended mission quite well.

I think you're right. I would gather that type of vehicle would be one that would benefit least from a bunch of feature creep, which translates into cost creep.

Originally Posted by Garak
Perhaps they've settled into a pattern that, from market feedback, works and there's not a lot of incentive to invest more in improving or "updating" something that's already performing its intended mission quite well.

I think you're right. I would gather that type of vehicle would be one that would benefit least from a bunch of feature creep, which translates into cost creep.

And thus "mission" creep where eventually a subcompact becomes an intermediate and goes from 2200 lbs to 3500.

It's as if designers and engineers cannot help themselves. "If this sells well, MOARRRRR will sell better."

We've certainly seen that creep happen to some. The Corolla isn't as entry level as it used to be, obviously. Someone has to make "the cheapest" vehicle.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Does anyone offer SUVs and trucks that are stripped and already in inventory? Why must the least optioned vehicles be Squeeze Accordian Cars?

Think "jack up profit margin," and your question will, alas, answer itself.
frown.gif

The Nissan Micra is a 3rd-world-country car and shouldn't even be in the same discussion as other Asian compacts.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
The Nissan Micra is a 3rd-world-country car and shouldn't even be in the same discussion as other Asian compacts.

Japan, Canada and the UK might take offense to being lumped in as third world countries. In Japan the model is called the March.

All the smart automakers build cars for the markets. In the emerging markets small cars are the big sellers for the new middle class in these regions. Honda has their City, Toyota has the Vios (Corolla) and so on.

While the basic specs you mention are the same, these cars are very different in most other regards. Sure they have small 4 cylinder engines, manual transmissions, basic interior and few luxuries. The later models will feature fuel injection, sealed wheel bearings, suspension design & performance, 4 wheel disc brakes, emissions controls, lots of other improvements... and most of all, reliability. I remember back in the day, if you wanted a decent used car, even a basic one, you had to spend $5000 or more. Nowadays you can get a used car that is far more reliable, efficient, comfortable, with way better features for $2000-3000.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
ekpolk said:

What I'd like is a basic car, not necesarily larger, without all the gizmos and soft touch materials (aka disintegrate after 10 years) but with very good soundproofing.

Renting lots of cars you can end up with basics (if that's all they have) and the road noise is surprising …
Well, at least if you own one the soundproof stuff is easy DIY …

My first car was a 3 doors 1989 Tercel, but I had a DX trim level which came with a 5 speed. To replace it in 2005, I bought its direct descendant : the Toyota Echo hatchback (that name was only used in Canada, it was known as the 1st gen Yaris in Europe), also as a 3 doors with 5 speed.

I went from 78 to 108 HP, from carburetor to EFI and its engine does have VVTi technology. While the Tercel was a very good little car, the Echo is superior in all areas (mileage, reliability, handling, power...) EXCEPT cargo space, which wasn't a big deal for me. At 12 years old, the Tercel began having engine problems and electrical glitches which led to its demise a few years later in 2006. The Echo has been brilliant so far as to reliability and is still my daily driver 14 years later.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Nick1994

Japan, Canada and the UK might take offense to being lumped in as third world countries. In Japan the model is called the March.

All the smart automakers build cars for the markets. In the emerging markets small cars are the big sellers for the new middle class in these regions. Honda has their City, Toyota has the Vios (Corolla) and so on.
You can have a third world country car in first world countries.

Originally Posted by Linctex
https://www.autotrader.com/best-cars/7-cars-sold-canada-and-not-america-255777

Nissan Micra
Yes, there is a Nissan below the Versa. It's called the Micra, and it's sold in Canada, where it starts at -- this is entirely true -- $9,988 Canadian. That translates to $7,600 in U.S. dollars.
Oh, sure, it's true that the base model comes with a stick shift, power nothing, illuminated nothing, keyless nothing, automated nothing and an option group worryingly called the INTENSITY PACKAGE (capitalization and all). But who cares when you're talking about a new car for $7,600?!
Not surprisingly, the Micra is tremendously popular in Canada -- except in the extreme northern parts, where a regulation-sized moose could eat a Micra in one sitting.

This car is really amazing at that price. I drove it. Wonderful. Was about to buy... then I read about the rod knock issue this (by memory, here) HR16DE engine has in Versa's and Micra's. Apparently tons of prbs... yet the Renault/Nissan organization cannot seem to figure out how to solve the prb! I placed my cell phone on a piece of styrofoam on the ground... and recorded the sound in neutral revving it between 2500 and 3800 (again if memory serves). Unmistakable (but subtle) rod knock. Car drove like a champ... yet KNOCK. New car. I did not buy it. But if they could solve this... then it'd be a no brainer for me. Ended up buying plain-jane Mazda6 6MT...about 2.2 X as many $... but pretty simple.

Last edited:
My first car was quite basic a slightly used Civic DX coupe 95 with AC but nothing else. It was reliable and all that but never have I longed to have such a vehicle ever again in my life spending 9 years/240k in it. I regretted not picking the DX Accord coupe a real car with superior comfort.

Originally Posted by madRiver
My first car was quite basic a slightly used Civic DX coupe 95 with AC but nothing else. It was reliable and all that but never have I longed to have such a vehicle ever again in my life spending 9 years/240k in it. I regretted not picking the DX Accord coupe a real car with superior comfort.

I had pretty much exactly the same experience and impressions with an 88 Civic LX I bought new. Didn't even have cruise control! Alas, those were the years where if you wanted an Accord, you got on the waiting list, AND paid the "Additional Dealer Profit" that at least they were honest enough to put right on the "dealer sticker". . . The Civic was an outstanding car for ten full years, so no true regrets about that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back