Solvent to clean new rotella jugs for syntorq?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local trans shop has syntorque, or the dodge/Chevy equivalent but no containers to sell it in.
frown.gif

Can I just drip dry a few rotella 1 gal jugs overnight and use those? Or should I use a solvent like diesel or something to remove the engine oil before putting $100 worth of liquid gold in?

Thanks!

I'd think soap and water would be adequate if you want it really clean. Otherwise I'd let them drip dry as you were thinking. This isn't an environment where things need to be surgically clean. A light film on the sides of the container won't hurt ya, just make sure there's no 'standing' oil in it - nothing enough to drip

If it were me, I would just put a little gasoline in the jug, swish it around real good and let it drain overnite. Then leave the jug open in the sun for a few hours.

I'd think dry dry would be enough - the minuscule amount of Rotella left behind will not affect the new oil.

If you need them super clean, then the gasoline method is the best option listed....and save the gas for lawn equipment.

I think you'd do more harm with a solvent than just refilling the jugs.

Various places have empty 5 gal. containers w/ lids too.

FWIW, I've been using charcoal lighter fluid as a solvent to clean up spilled oil for years.

Maybe there's naphtha in there, I don't know. It works and evaporates quickly.

Hey thanks for all the great suggestions people! I need 5 quarts so the drip dried rotella jugs should do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: walterjay
If it were me, I would just put a little gasoline in the jug, swish it around real good and let it drain overnite. Then leave the jug open in the sun for a few hours.

I'd probably use 91% isopropyl, but then I use that for a lot of stuff. Fairly effective cleaner/degreaser, fairly not super harsh and fairly quick to dry up with minimal residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back