Sold The GTI...

Morning folks, figure I'd share I was able to sell my beloved GTI last week. With used car values through the roof I decided now was the time to do it as I won't get a better opportunity. Was able to sell it at a local used car dealer that only deals in low mileage nicer newer vehicles. The process was way easier than I imagined and came out several dollars more than what I owed. Guy didn't even test drive it, took one good look at it and we were doing paperwork. Would I have gotten more privately? Yes, but with a lien it's a paperwork nightmare in PA. This was quicker and easier. Now why did I do this? Honestly I need to get into a bigger house and this was an extra vehicle that didn't get driven as much, the extra monthly cost are not needed. Could I keep affording it? Yes, but I'd rather have a nicer house. I already have a truck and commuter car so at this point it was time to part ways. I had my fun, and hopefully the next person will enjoy it. Pretty sure it's not even going to make it to the lot as one of the managers son has an older GTI and has been looking for a nice newer low mileage example.

Last picture I have of it, sitting in its usual spot for the winter:

6NtGr2c.jpg

Now I do plan on here sometime soon trading my current Tacoma in for a brand new one. I still like my old 2nd gen, but am looking to get into a new one. This way I can care for it right from the start instead of going through a used vehicle like I do.

Sold a 2013 GTI I bought new to my brother last year. It had 166k on it. My wife used it for business travel and put lots of company paid miles on it. My brother is a pharmacy manager at Walmart and uses it as his work car. Mine was was a two door with a stick made in the old Wolfsburg plant. The GTI is a small, comfortable drivers car that using underpowered.

Nice car! Love the color.
What is your Commuter? ( edit I just see in your sig it's a Camry, snoooze, BOOO!)
How far off retail did the "dealer" give you?
Usually you leave at least 3K on the table with a newer car.
But I understand sometime 3K isnt much when you are buying a house. But it is.

Existing home prices are insane - unless you get a fixer upper.
Best to buy a lot and build if possible. My Father always did this. You can find elderly that still have some farm land left and buy a piece. Many are overburdened with property taxes.
I missed one in my home town just down the street. 180g worth 275g easy with about 50g in upgrades with a bit of subbing and sweat.
Couldn't convince the wife - next time I'll skip the spousal approval.

Now I do plan on here sometime soon trading my current Tacoma in for a brand new one. I still like my old 2nd gen, but am looking to get into a new one. This way I can care for it right from the start instead of going through a used vehicle like I do.

Make sure you test drive it thoroughly. I loved the second gens and regretting buying a third gen without a proper test drive.

That sounds like playing with fire.

Nice car! Love the color.
What is your Commuter? ( edit I just see in your sig it's a Camry, snoooze, BOOO!)
How far off retail did the "dealer" give you?
Usually you leave at least 3K on the table with a newer car.
But I understand sometime 3K isnt much when you are buying a house. But it is.

Existing home prices are insane - unless you get a fixer upper.
Best to buy a lot and build if possible. My Father always did this. You can find elderly that still have some farm land left and buy a piece. Many are overburdened with property taxes.
I missed one in my home town just down the street. 180g worth 275g easy with about 50g in upgrades with a bit of subbing and sweat.

You're right in the ballpark with 3K. I got out of it and made about a grand. That will go twords the new truck hopefully. They'll stand to make about 2K after what they gave me and what they're going to list it at.

As far as home buying I definitely want a fixer-upper. I have all the tools and skills to go along with them. I'd rather have a house that hasn't been updated since the 60's and 70's as it's less likely to be "wood-butchered"

EDIT: Forgot to say while the Camry is the "commuter" I much rather take the Tacoma, despite the less fuel mileage.

Make sure you test drive it thoroughly. I loved the second gens and regretting buying a third gen without a proper test drive.

I've test drove a 3rd gen before and I definitely liked it. Transmission was a little wonky, but no worse than my truck now. Power was adequate, actually better than the 4.0 I have now. Most people say the opposite, but this is merely my opinion.

Last edited:
Man, I love my GTI. It would be really hard to sell it. I certainly would, if it was needed. Good on you for sticking to your priorities. You can always get another GTI later.

Back