Sold Mustang GT...got a Focus!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, like most of the country right now, I needed to cut costs and adjust finances....so I had to trade in my '08 Mustang GT Convertible. Oh well. I decided to go full economy and got a new Ford Focus SE four door automatic. Lol...I know, big difference in power and fuel economy....but you know what? I really like this little car so far. The ride is comfortable, the power is fine, the tranny shifts smoothly, and the overall fit for me seems just right. It's actually not a bad looking car either and I got one in a decent color (dark gray). Get's 33mpg hwy. according to the EPA.....but I expect a bit more the way I drive it. Can anybody tell me anything about this car as far as what they may have learned from owning the redesigned Focus (since '08 model on is all new). I really disliked the looks of the older one. Is the engine reliable? It's got the Duratech 2.0L making 140hp. I heard it was designed by Mazda (any relation to the inline four in the Miata?).
Anyway, I'm satisfied so far but we'll see what the future brings with this car. I plan on changing the oil at 1k miles and again at 3k miles.....then full synthetic for life at 5k OCI's.
Any comments, suggestions, or opinions about anything with this car are welcome.

Previous and current Ford Focus' are pretty reliable, very few issues. I did the opposite of you and got rid of my 2008 Scion TC and got an 04 Xterra. Both the TC and Xterra pale in comparison to my 01 Impala in terms of MPG's. Xterra gets like 250 miles to the tank, TC got like 300, and my Impala on highway was like 390/400. You did the smart thing and went for MPGs, I went for costs, saved 50 dollars a month switching payments from the TC to X.

Your focus will treat you well so long as you treat it well. And most mustang owners always have a high level of personal maintenance invested in their vehicles so you will be fine with it =)

Originally Posted By: andrewg
It's got the Duratech 2.0L making 140hp. I heard it was designed by Mazda (any relation to the inline four in the Miata?).

It is the same as the 2.0 in the Mazda3, and similar to the 2.0 in the Miata (different tuning at least, probably some different parts). In general the Duratec 20 and 23 (and I suppose now the 25) is pretty much the same as the Mazda MZR20/23/25. There used to be some differences -- I believe the Focus didn't have VVT for a while -- but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

My employer has a fleet of Focuses (Foci?) and Escapes. They get abused pretty badly, but still run.

I have the 07 4 door Focus and it's been a fine car. It has the same engine- tranny set up as yours. Gets good MPG. 27-29 local and 33-37 hyw. I use M1 5-30, soon changing to M1 5-30EP, and uses no oil to speak of in my 10,000 mile OCI. Also M1 filters. Car has 48,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
You did what???? See my sig.

Lol....nice car..lol.
Seriously, no more overtime at work, bills mounting, and I just haven't been able to get ahead lately. It's only a car.

Originally Posted By: rationull
BTW congrats on the car! Please tell me it doesn't have the fake fender vents!!

No, I think that was an earlier year. Isn't it the '08's that had those?

Well, like most of the country right now, I needed to cut costs and adjust finances....so I had to trade in my '08 Mustang GT Convertible. Oh well. I decided to go full economy and got a new Ford Focus SE four door automatic. Lol...I know, big difference in power and fuel economy....but you know what? I really like this little car so far. The ride is comfortable, the power is fine, the tranny shifts smoothly, and the overall fit for me seems just right. It's actually not a bad looking car either and I got one in a decent color (dark gray). Get's 33mpg hwy. according to the EPA.....but I expect a bit more the way I drive it. Can anybody tell me anything about this car as far as what they may have learned from owning the redesigned Focus (since '08 model on is all new). I really disliked the looks of the older one. Is the engine reliable? It's got the Duratech 2.0L making 140hp. I heard it was designed by Mazda (any relation to the inline four in the Miata?).
Anyway, I'm satisfied so far but we'll see what the future brings with this car. I plan on changing the oil at 1k miles and again at 3k miles.....then full synthetic for life at 5k OCI's.
Any comments, suggestions, or opinions about anything with this car are welcome.

You are a smart person for living within your means! You will one day be able to have your "Toy" back again, and then some!
wink.gif

WAY TO GO!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC

You are a smart person for living within your means! You will one day be able to have your "Toy" back again, and then some!
wink.gif

WAY TO GO!
thumbsup2.gif

Thank you...but it's really no sacrifice to me. I honestly don't have a good reason that I purchased the Mustang anyway. It was a good car....but not what I really needed or particularly enjoyed. The Focus will do just fine.
I'm just glad that I live in a country where so many choices are available. Be it a powerful V-8 muscle car or an ecnomical four cylinder. Captitalism has it's virtues...

I agree on the need to cut costs and live within your means...but you take a HOSING when you trade-in or sell even a slightly used car. You probably lost more value on your Mustang than the Focus is even worth!

And as to having your toy back...good luck. Mustang V-8's won't exist in the near future when gas prices go up, and Ford get the 'Ecoboost' program in full swing...

Glad you're happy with your trade. I can certainly sympathize. Economics forced me to sell my nearly-new '91 Talon TSi AWD and I replaced it with a 1990 Sentra GXE. That was a heartbreaker, but that little Sentra was bulletproof. My payment went from $326 to $167 and insurance hit rock bottom. Good economic move....hard emotional move.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I agree on the need to cut costs and live within your means...but you take a HOSING when you trade-in or sell even a slightly used car. You probably lost more value on your Mustang than the Focus is even worth!

And as to having your toy back...good luck. Mustang V-8's won't exist in the near future when gas prices go up, and Ford get the 'Ecoboost' program in full swing...

Andrew,
I wasn't going to be the first to say it but did you do the math on this trade in?
Doesn't matter much now I guess since its done but I'd recommend next time to break out the calculator before you set foot into any dealer and do some figuring beyond monthly payments...
I'm seeing some used car dealers here offering 84 month leases! at 7 to 9% interest! Scary stuff!

Quote:
I'm seeing some used car dealers here offering 84 month leases! at 7 to 9% interest! Scary stuff!

Thats for the people who want to have a flashy car they can't afford. I work at an insurance agency and I see people with some very fancy cars barely able to pay their insurance on time, let alone the car payment.

Actually folks I have a good income and fantastic credit. I qualify for very low interest rates...I just had to either get rid of a vehicle I didn't need or cut something more important....something I would not do for a car.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

No, I didn't owe more than the price of the Focus....but I did owe more than a little on the Mustang. I made the best move possible under my circumstances. The bottom line is that my overall debt is lower now....that's what I needed to accomplish.

Originally Posted By: rationull
BTW congrats on the car! Please tell me it doesn't have the fake fender vents!!

No, I think that was an earlier year. Isn't it the '08's that had those?

Ah maybe. I guess I didn't realize they'd stopped putting them on. Good. I like the way the new Focus looks, but those fake vents were a horrible blemish IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back