Solaris 10 x86-64

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, my primary HDD that hosted my Gentoo install (Seagate if anybody is interested, my WD's have been problem-free) went on the fritz over the weekend. It would boot, run for about 10 minutes, then die.

SO, I decided since I was going to be doing an OS install, that I'd try something I haven't used in a little while: Solaris.

Downloaded the Solaris 10 x86 DVD, which installed the 64-bit version on my system.

Observations so far:

1. The included NVidia drivers suck. Hardcore. 2D performance is AWFUL. Luckily, NVidia offers Solaris drivers right on their website, and once installed, performance is as good as it was in Linux. And the install is MUCH easier.

2. Network card support is not up to par with Linux. My on-board Marvell Gigabit NIC was not detected during the install. I had to install a 3COM 905CX-TX and do an unconfigure to set it up.

3. The Sun Update Manager is having a VERY hard time connecting and retrieving updates. I have resorted to downloading them manually and using patchadd to install them.

4. Boot time is fantastic, and the interface is clean. It feels more "polished" than Linux, and I would expect it to since it is a commercial UNIX product.

5. I wish it had native support for ReiserFS, it is going to make retrieving data from my other drives difficult.

Overall, I'm enjoying my Solaris experience.

thumbsup2.gif
cool

what benefits does it offer over other options?

used to use solaris on sparc workstations in the mathematics lab. Havent seen one in years.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
what benefits does it offer over other options?

used to use solaris on sparc workstations in the mathematics lab. Havent seen one in years.

I don't know how many other options provide ZFS, Zones, etc.

Lots of great technology built into Solaris.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
3. The Sun Update Manager is having a VERY hard time connecting and retrieving updates. I have resorted to downloading them manually and using patchadd to install them.

Maybe I am thinking of the wrong "distribution" of OpenSolaris, but doesn't it use Debian and Ubuntu userland tools? I just wonder if using a (more readily available, faster) Debian or Ubuntu repository might help; unless all of those userland tools are recompiled exclusively for the Solaris kernel, and using a stock Debian/ Ubuntu package would bork your entire system.

4. Boot time is fantastic, and the interface is clean. It feels more "polished" than Linux, and I would expect it to since it is a commercial UNIX product.

Again, isn't the interface just GNOME with the Ubuntu "Human" theme?

5. I wish it had native support for ReiserFS, it is going to make retrieving data from my other drives difficult.

Overall, I'm enjoying my Solaris experience.

Assuming your Solaris install is using ZFS, would a *BSD live CD be able to speak to both?

I don't think openSolaris has the update manager used in the commercial Solaris product.

I don't play with either actually, as I just use my monthly install CD to install using the lastest patch bundle.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Assuming your Solaris install is using ZFS, would a *BSD live CD be able to speak to both?

I AM using ZFS, was going to try a live CD, but the drive I'm trying to access is a 1TB drive, and I have nothing large enough (presently) to copy the data off onto so I can reformat it.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I don't think openSolaris has the update manager used in the commercial Solaris product.

I don't play with either actually, as I just use my monthly install CD to install using the lastest patch bundle.

I'm using the Commercial product, this is Solaris 10, NOT OpenSolaris.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I know. Someone else mentioned openSolaris and update management.

Ahhh, sorry about that
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back