solar window blinds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised the idea wasn't attempted sooner, honestly. The integration seems neat and tidy, but the price ($390 pre-order) doesn't make sense for a max output of 150wh. a KwH here is only $0.0872

Would you use them if the price was right? I'd snap them up in a heart beat. And may still just to help them keep the ball rolling and have something neat to talk to the neighbors about.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1170840477/solargaps-smart-solar-blinds

(Mods, my apologies if I'm not supposed to share the link, feel free to edit as necessary)

I would guess that a proper solar setup with sun tracking would do much better. The slats would be a fun discussion topic, but being limited to facing one direction would severely limit the efficacy. For the price per watt of a solar panel, I'd rather put it on a roof, even if it was at a fixed angle.

They're specifically targeting renters/non home owners who can't mount a solar system on the roof. They track the Sun in as much that they rotate to follow the Sun up/down through it's rotation.

It'd definitely be better for windows that receive light most of the day.

I guess I have kind of a reverse point of view. I have my windows so I can see out. I can't see a vertical surface being anywhere near ideal for sun exposure. Even if the blinds rotate to point towards the sun, at some angle, the blinds will start shading itself. A 100w panel costs about $115 and pointed at the right direction and angle would probably generate 3 times as much energy as those blinds.

Also, like you said, the ROI is pretty rough.

I guess, in my opinion, it isn't a practical idea, and is a gimmick. Not a terrible idea, I just wouldn't go for it.

Vertical surfaces just don't get enough light, and if you mount it on the inside of the window, the glass further reduces light. Mounting it on the outside of the window is impractical for renters. How do you run wires back into the house?

Their claim about reducing electric bills by up to 70% is preposterous. I figure a south-facing window could generate $10-20 of electricity per year assuming nothing is obstructing it like trees. Other windows generate significantly less. Since renters move more frequently, there's also a concern that the existing blinds may not fit on the next window.

This idea is DOA.

A few years back I saw a Chinese company that was developing solar tinting for windows to use in skyscrapers. I wonder if they were able to do so.

As for window shades in residential buildings, I am not quite sure about it. The biggest potential is for roofs (something like shingles or even the panels we currently have available), not small openings like windows.

As long as you don't look at the actual numbers, it's pretty nifty.

I remember the solar tint, and haven't heard anything about it in a while. Last I read, it was something like 1% efficient vs the 15% of a traditional solar panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back