Solar Panels In Tornado Alley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking a long time about renewable energy methods. I've drawn the conclusion (years ago) that solar is 100% idiotic in tornado alley, especially central OK, due to frequent softball size hail. Stack that with zero incentives or rebates, and it turns into a ~25-30 year process just to break even, assuming nothing goes wrong. Wind is the best option here, but even that isn't a wise financial decision. So today, I randomly stumbled across an image of a set of solar panels suspended about 15 feet in the air on a large thick metal pole. Somehow I've never seen this type of setup. I've only seen panels fixed to rooftops or on poles/racks just a couple of feet off the ground. Since all I could see in my head was the ground clearance, it got me thinking, is it possible to not have a permanently fixed array of panels? Can you either manually or via a motorized contraption (in my head I'm thinking of something like a drywall hoist) turn the panels to face the ground during severe weather? If the underside is a heavy duty material that can withstand hail, such as a thick metal, this may be the one magic bullet to make me consider solar again. If by miracle chance this is feasible, I still won't be doing it anytime soon, but looking in 3-5+ years, if at all. If this hasn't already been thought of/invented, I claim dibs on the patent (or at least 15% in royalties)!
crackmeup2.gif

If using a fixed rooftop setup, how feasible is a 'cover' that can be motorized to protect the panels? I'm picturing an industrial type garage door that rolls up like a 'P' shape, only instead of creating a vertical barrier, it creates a parallel shield for the panels. Or perhaps just a solid sheet of thick metal on wheels with a track to allow it to slide over the panels...? The imagined possibilities are vast, I just don't know how it would all work in the real world.

Thoughts?

Great idea, but it's already been done. There are some panels here that resemble a "tree" and in case of expected bad weather, it can "fold" down.

Recently on PBS, I saw an episode of This Old House that showed the robotic flower that tracked with the sun like a sunflower does at the precise angle needed to produce the most energy. It's not cheap!

Originally Posted by BigD1
Recently on PBS, I saw an episode of This Old House that showed the robotic flower that tracked with the sun like a sunflower does at the precise angle needed to produce the most energy. It's not cheap!

Show me how these would not be ripped up by the roots and I will commend whoever made the idea for harnessing all that violent wind evergy. But I can probably show you a nice expensive flying arrow, twisters are no joke. Address this?

As mentioned above, many tracking solar arrays do just that. In fact, some position themselves appropriately anytime they are not in use.

The advantages of tracking panels are not just for greater efficiency, as they make power much earlier and later in the day. They are often "stowed" at night and during weather.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by talest
Originally Posted by BigD1

Show me how these would not be ripped up by the roots and I will commend whoever made the idea for harnessing all that violent wind evergy. But I can probably show you a nice expensive flying arrow, twisters are no joke. Address this?

Watch the whole video - or go the link that I provided. When the solar flower folds up, it's very compact, very low profile.

On a concrete pad, I think it would be OK in severe wind. If the house survives, it will survive.

My boss put ground mounted ones up last year. He had to dig ten 3ft deep and 2 ft wide holes for the mounting poles for wind and earthquake reasons. Cost was about $20k for everything including the panels he bought and the tax credits and what not came out to $11k. Now he gets a check from Edison every year. Not a big check but something.

He still has to be connected to the grid $12/month.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Solar panel and hail...
Solar

Sooo, this says it's tested to 1" hail at 50mph. If I had a nickel for every time we have that...

Until I see that it can withstand 3" hail in a 100+mph microburst (both of which happen somewhat frequently here), it's a hard pass. Unless it's protected somehow like I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back