Solar Panel Cleaning - Please advise

As we all know, CA has had horrible fires resulting in tons of soot deposited all over Northern CA.
Heck, we are all breathing this crap!
I noticed my solar panels were covered in grey soot so I hosed 'em down.
In most cases, rainfall does an adequate job, or so I have read. We ain't go no rain.

The hose did a pretty good job; I will probably do it again tomorrow morning.
Perhaps a little car detergent and a light brushing?

I appreiate your thoughts.

Reactions: JC1
Soapy water and a non abrasive sponge since you don’t want to scratch the panels. Treat it like washing the car pretty much.

I wash my cars and trucks with a long pole and super soft automotive brush. Note: The really soft brushes are hard to find. Many common car brushes are too stiff to conform and simply ride over the surface.

The soft car wash brushes and car soap work wonderfully to wash solar panels. I also occasionally use Rain-X on my solar panels. But I'm in South Florida where it rains constantly and then mold builds up. I'm not at all sure the Rain-X helps prevent mold, but it does make the water bead up and run off.

I wash my cars and trucks with a long pole and super soft automotive brush. Note: The really soft brushes are hard to find. Many common car brushes are too stiff to conform and simply ride over the surface.
Boar's Hair?

That particularly brush is ridiculously soft; I use it for wheels. But let me know where to find the long pole version since I am interested in using it for solar panels as well.

Hosing them down helped but not enough.
Time for plan B.
PXL_20201014_174009781.jpg

I've found the lower the sun angle, due to time of year, the more losses there are with dirty panels, and the fallout from wildfire smoke accumulates faster and seems to reduce output to a higher degree.

I have one 'flexible' 100 watt Sunpower panel.

I've wiped it clean with a microfiber towell, and noted a few watts more from it, then sprayed on some Aerospace 303.

303's supposed UV blockers did not change output by 0.1 watts, and does make wiping dust or Bird poo off it much easier.

I have a long extendable handle with a window squeegee on it when I want my framed panels clean. I've Never applied any product to their glass. I would not want anything react with the sealant between the edges of the glass and the frame, so those get water only.

I once read something about wildfire ash fallout etching the glass of panels when they would get wet from overnight dew.
I do not know if true or to what degree, and what variables might apply if it is.

I once read something about wildfire ash fallout etching the glass of panels when they would get wet from overnight dew.
I do not know if true or to what degree, and what variables might apply if it is.

Wood smoke contains oxides, carbonates, and hydroxides. The pH of the dew would be basic, which can etch soft glass. The hydroxides are particularly troublesome.

A wash with a dilute vinegar solution would be helpful in cleaning the panels.

Ed

I need to revisit this. The window cleaning company quoted me $10/panel ($440 in my situation) to clean.

• Angry
Wouldn't car soap leave residue if you don't rinse it well completely? If there isn't any bird poop or tree saps (shouldn't to begin with since it blocks the lights), a quick water rinse should be enough to get most of the dust off right?

I started to say something smart alecky like Pine Sol when I read the title. Turned out to be an interesting thread involving problems i never thought of with solar panels.

Back