Solar brand chargers....any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I saw a deal on these the other day. Are these comparable in quality to other brands such as Schumacher? I have a Schumacher maintainer and Battery Tender Junior but would like something that can charge up a car a bit faster and these chargers have a 2/6/10 amp rate.

Yes, but I am considering these because they are on sale. So if anyone has any input on the brand I am looking at, let me know.

I have a Solar brand OBDII backfeeder (to keep memory alive during battery replacement) and it's quality is good.

Keep in mind that faster isn't necessarily better. Typically the basis of design in terms of constant current/voltage profiles are similar, but other elements like AC ripple, which can be damaging, aren't. I also prefer thermally compensated chargers.

I have a Solar ProLogix battery charger/tender/reconditioner, and I love the thing. Quality is good (although I've had it less than 2 years), and it does an amazing job of maintaining batteries and minimizing sulfation.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I have a Solar ProLogix battery charger/tender/reconditioner, and I love the thing. Quality is good (although I've had it less than 2 years), and it does an amazing job of maintaining batteries and minimizing sulfation.

How do you know its minimizing sulfation?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

How do you know its minimizing sulfation?

Couple of ways:

1) It doesn't just do a continuous trickle or float charge, it follows a time profile where it does constant current, constant voltage, float, disconnected, partial discharge, and recharge. I think the manual refers to the discharge/recharge portion as "energizing", but its really a de-sulfation cycle. Sulfation tends to occur with more simple-minded battery maintainers.

2) Putting a heavily sulfated lawn tractor battery on it for 2 weeks brought it back from the dead and got me another season out of it.

I've got a couple of that brand of chargers, one a 2/10 amp or something similar, and it works absolutely fine. I also have a semi-permanent mount maintenance charger from them on my F-150, and it's a fantastic product. If the price is right, go for it.

I have a little, old Solar 1-amp charger. It's so low tech, it's practically no tech.

I used to use it quite often to keep my motorcycle batteries charged. This was before the rash of battery maintainers hit the market. I've used it to recharge auto batteries but it takes forever. I don't use it much now but it still works.

BTW, the charger has a date code of 030183 and it's UL listed. Don't know if it's made in the USA or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back