Solar Battery Maintainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a situation in the family where a car may sit for several months. This car is generally not near an AC source as it is parked at a condo.

I know the best thing is to disconnect the battery, but that isn't really an option. I'm thinking a solar battery maintainer like this would do the job well. Couple that with the cigarette lighter adapter (pretty sure the power plug is hot 24/7, need to check that) and it should be a very simple setup and prevent the situation that we have right now, a super dead battery that probably cannot be saved.

Anyone have experience with the solar ones?

I used one on a motorhome that was parked a lot of the time. Worked great. Always had charged batteries when I went to fire it up. I would have dead ones before the charger.

Since you mentioned the cigarette plug adapter I have to ask if you're planning on keeping the solar panel inside the vehicle - like on the dash while it is plugged in? It won't work well inside of your vehicle. The windshield filters out most of the UV light. But I think the panel is a good option to maintain a battery.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Since you mentioned the cigarette plug adapter I have to ask if you're planning on keeping the solar panel inside the vehicle - like on the dash while it is plugged in? It won't work well inside of your vehicle. The windshield filters out most of the UV light. But I think the panel is a good option to maintain a battery.

I was wondering about that.

Would it work, just not as effective? I don't believe it takes much to maintain an idle battery.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Originally Posted By: bvance554

I was wondering about that.

Would it work, just not as effective? I don't believe it takes much to maintain an idle battery.

The 5w might not be enough power, but the 20w would.

it will work. it will trickle charge the battery but if it is enough is a question of how much juice the car uses when turned off and that may vary a lot.
A 20w sounds like it will be more than enough, just place it where there are the most hours of light during a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back